Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep25_banner.thumb.jpg.9e57eee22cad68fd6b67a87befeaa79b.jpg

Sandancer10

What stops you Stargazing?

Last night was a great night (apart from the Moon) not a cloud in sight and good for AP and I was ill.  My Sister drove me 80 miles yesterday and the last 20 miles were a nightmare due to car sickness. Even though I was ill, I was really annoyed that the sky was clear and my head felt like it was in a vice. Better it had been cloudy - sorry guys I know some of you got some great images.  :icon_salut:

Now I'll have to wait another Goodness knows how long for another clear night.  :mad:

My own laziness is usually what stops me - the thought of lugging all of that gear out just fills me with apathy and dread (especially the heavy NEQ6 - it needs to be extra-special for me to get that out).

• Like 6

I did'nt do anything last night......mainly I could'nt be bothered with the Moon.

It was so clear but a full moon........darn it.

The sodden mess that is our garden is stopping me from doing any imaging. It's been effectively unusable since November. I do drag the Dob out onto the patio as often as possible but I have, as yet, no way to polar align without a view of Polaris, which I can't see from the house end of the garden.

The cold... having a gorgeous wood burning stove smouldering the living room is a massive put off for wondering into the cold late at night....

• Like 2

My own laziness is usually what stops me - the thought of lugging all of that gear out just fills me with apathy and dread (especially the heavy NEQ6 - it needs to be extra-special for me to get that out).

I feel the same; but usually it is because I work `Nights`..............and guess what..........yep; they are usually the clear sky nights! :mad:

I'm afraid it is Laziness for me too, even though everything is ready set up in the Obsy. Turn on, open roof and away we go but just putting coat, shoes etc on and walking 20yds is too much at times.

I promise I will be better though...........

• Like 1

Beginning a bottle of red when its cloudy only to find the sky has cleared but the cloud has transferred to the inside of my head....

• Like 10

I have fibromyalgia.  That pretty much stops me from doing anything when it flares up... usually on clear nights too! 

I did'nt do anything last night......mainly I could'nt be bothered with the Moon.

It was so clear but a full moon........darn it.

Me too.

My patio is damp after being under an inch of water all week. Well, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it ;)

The wife....................the lounge needs vacuming,............ have you mended that light yet.................Don't forget the dishes.................... :sad:

• Like 6

At the moment the moon at night as i am wanting to see more DSO's, and in the morning when i want to see Saturn, my bed seems to have some strong grip on me :)

The "black dog" that is depression got me last night. Fortunately, it's few and far between these days and after it's gone I feel guilty for feeling that way, even though I know it's not my doing.

oh well, at least it was a full moon :).

• Like 1

1) Neighbours' light pollution - it puts a total dampener on getting out. It's probably the one of two factors that stops me observing. It was very dark around here until they moved in!! When the outside lights are off, I giggle with glee and get the scopes out in the hope the lights don't go on again.

2) Exhaustion.

Edited by Beulah

The weather and light pollution. Nothing else really stops me. Last night I was gutted because I had a new toy and was out for dinner! Want to get out there tonight but not to sure about this mehyde9a.jpg

Cloud. Or the prospect of cloud within an hour or two. I've been caught out too many times spending an hour or more to set up for the cloud to roll in just as I'm ready to go. I wish I had an obs with a roll-off roof then I could make use of those odd hours of clear sky, but for now I need at least half the night clear or I won't bother.

ChrisH

• Like 3

My own solution for avoiding local light pollution, is to set up on my allotment, which is a short walk or car journey from the house. More effort required but it is worth it. This year it has not turned into a lake, but I can only access it with wellies. However Sunday evening and weekdays before work it becomes too much trouble.

The wife....................the lounge needs vacuming,............ have you mended that light yet.................Don't forget the dishes.................... :sad:

This is exactly why I don't have a wife (kind of).... and I plan for it to stay that way :D Doesn't stop me being too lazy to go outside though!

• Like 1

I also do too much to fit in... studying with open uni, studying British Sign Language L3, work full time and then a couple of days ago signed up for the OU's free 'moon' course starting in march...

How will I fit it all in.... what can I cut out...Sleep! I don't need sleep! ;)

This is exactly why I don't have a wife (kind of).... and I plan for it to stay that way :D Doesn't stop me being too lazy to go outside though!

She ain't all bad, or so she keeps telling me......

• Like 1

She ain't all bad, or so she keeps telling me......

I'm absolutely sure she's not... :) I still don't want one though ;)

Sometimes when there is a nice clear sky during the day I think 'Yes! A nice clear sky for stargazing tonight'. Then when it clouds over I'm quite relieved and think 'Yes a nice bottle of wine instead'.  That way I don't feel so guilty not going out.

Edited by Johnboy
  • Like 2

I also do too much to fit in... studying with open uni, studying British Sign Language L3, work full time and then a couple of days ago signed up for the OU's free 'moon' course starting in march...

How will I fit it all in.... what can I cut out...Sleep! I don't need sleep! ;)

Sleep is for the weak! Better busy than bored :)

• Like 2