Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

kyokugaisha

Another Jupiter from 15/02/14 with Ganymede surface details (I think)

Another few hours with perfect seeing, this time coinciding with a GRS transit and Ganymede nearby. My new Tele Vue 3x barlow has, I think, got my set up to the sweet spot between too much focal length and too little.

I used 11 avis stacked and wavelets in Registax. Then derotated Jupiter in WinJupos. Have to admit when I saw there was something unusual about Ganymede in the final image I had to have a bit of a fiddle. I'm pretty sure the markings are actually on the disk itself and not just noise. They are visible on the raw stacked files and I tried a different stacking technique (AS!2) which showed the same sort of albedo variation.

So I'm 95% sure I photographed the surface of a moon 670,000,000 km away... from my back garden! Sometimes this hobby does make you sit back and think. :smiley:

12563724924_3a42bfb40e_o.png
Jupiter, Io & Ganymede 2014-02-15-2041 by kyokugaisha1, on Flickr

Thanks for looking.

• Like 5

Certainly some detail on Ganymede.  Great image!

Angie

Really great image, its pics like this that spur me on to get my kit sorted and have a go myself.

Was this taken using the SW 200p in your sig?

Rich.

Thank you for all the comments. :smiley:

richmk3 - Yup, it was taken with the 200P. I have to say the two main factors are the 3x barlow and the very steady atmosphere. Most of my Jupiter images don't come close to this!

Thanks for the reply Marc, good things come to those who wait for the right conditions.

Think this has made my mind up with scope choice at least :)