Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Another Jupiter from 15/02/14 with Ganymede surface details (I think)

kyokugaisha

Another few hours with perfect seeing, this time coinciding with a GRS transit and Ganymede nearby. My new Tele Vue 3x barlow has, I think, got my set up to the sweet spot between too much focal length and too little.

I used 11 avis stacked and wavelets in Registax. Then derotated Jupiter in WinJupos. Have to admit when I saw there was something unusual about Ganymede in the final image I had to have a bit of a fiddle. I'm pretty sure the markings are actually on the disk itself and not just noise. They are visible on the raw stacked files and I tried a different stacking technique (AS!2) which showed the same sort of albedo variation.

So I'm 95% sure I photographed the surface of a moon 670,000,000 km away... from my back garden! Sometimes this hobby does make you sit back and think. :smiley:

12563724924_3a42bfb40e_o.png
Jupiter, Io & Ganymede 2014-02-15-2041 by kyokugaisha1, on Flickr

Thanks for looking.

Archived