SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

IC2177: Seagull nebula (130pds)

Uranium235

More data from tonights session, this time a bit of the sky ive never visited before so I didnt really know what to expect. What I did know however, is that the stars were not half as tight as they were when working near the zenith.

So the general murkiness on the horizon added further difficulty to that already presented by a full-on Moon. Still, it turned out better than I thought it would after the calibration frames were applied.

IC2177: Seagull Nebula

8x900 (Ha) 1x1 bin

130pds (0.89x), Atik 383L+, NEQ6

Calib: Flats and Bias

Thanks for looking! :)

Rob

12551273213_88c4887b0f_b.jpg

Another great resut from the 130. It really is singing for you.

Olly

:) Cheers, hopefully I'll have it singing an entire opera before too long. The biggest test is yet to come - adding colour, which is where I need the field to be exactly the same between filters. Well, im using a newt so I might test the supposition that I dont have to refocus (even though common sense says otherwise!). The Baader narrowband filters are supposed to be parfocal, time to find out if thats true!

Looking good there Rob - Well done!!

Thanks Sara! This might be one for you to have a go at, youre in a fairly southern location so you could get more time on it (Ive only got a 3 hour window on this one so speed is of the essence).

Just after this I switched to Lum for some galaxy action, but im not expecting any world-beating results as moonglow wiped out most of the dim stuff. I'll take some flats and see how it goes.

gingergeek, on 16 Feb 2014 - 10:17 AM, said:gingergeek, on 16 Feb 2014 - 10:17 AM, said:gingergeek, on 16 Feb 2014 - 10:17 AM, said:

Pinsharp to me and very nice, there is some strange lighting effect in the top right and left, vignetting or just my lack of coffee ?  

Ahhh yes, that is the vignetting caused by using 1.25" filters on a big chip in a fast system. I might try and re-shoot the flats, but at this speed (f4.4) the light cone gets quite a bit stubbier and so gets cut off at the filters (at f6, its a lot easier to correct). I guess its the price to pay for going fast. I know what I want for my birthday now.... big filters! :)

That's an impressive capture, Rob.  Do you have a coma corrector in there?

Anyway, nicely done especially considering the conditions.

Yes, it was the skywatcher CC - which is pretty good when imaging in narrowband. But Ive since switched back to the MPCC MkIII so I can do some RGB without internal reflections. Should have a variable spacer soon so I can accurately measure the lens-CCD distance for that setup.

Archived