Narrowband

Saturn at Opposition

DommyDevil18

You can rest assured that worldwide, there will be thousands of telescopes of all types and sizes trained on Saturn.

Probably prior to, and after opposition. The planet is such a magnificent sight in any astronomical instrument of any size and type,

it is a prime target at any time in it's passage around the sun. When it is conveniently placed of course.

I'm sure we will see many fine Images posted on SGL, and everyone, expert, or novice, should click away, and good luck.

Ron.

I wont, I am afraid I will be on a plane to the Dom republic  :grin: for a 3 week spell. That said, I will be looking the following week from the warmth of a Caribbean beach. (Hope I don't sound like I am trying to rub it in)

After I intend observing a great number of southern DSO's including hopefully the southern pleiades.  :cool:

How North are you because the Northern Hemisphere has been reported to have the best viewing.

About the same as you  :smiley:

Unfortunately both Saturn and Mars will not be very high in the sky from the UK during their next oppositions. 

Well one cannot argue there because Saturn was the first thing I saw through my 19.5 inch reflector telescope when I was a boy of 9 :) 

You can rest assured that worldwide, there will be thousands of telescopes of all types and sizes trained on Saturn.

"Probably prior to, and after opposition. The planet is such a magnificent sight in any astronomical instrument of any size and type,

it is a prime target at any time in it's passage around the sun. When it is conveniently placed of course.

I'm sure we will see many fine Images posted on SGL, and everyone, expert, or novice, should click away, and good luck."

Ron.

10th May will be solid cloud across Britain, I guarantee it.

As barkis mentioned, Saturn's reliable any time it's up and the seeing's good. There's not much difference between being 9 AU and 11 AU away.

so if you dont see it straight away big deal, it will be a good while moving away from us

I wont, I am afraid I will be on a plane to the Dom republic  :grin: for a 3 week spell. That said, I will be looking the following week from the warmth of a Caribbean beach. (Hope I don't sound like I am trying to rub it in)

After I intend observing a great number of southern DSO's including hopefully the southern pleiades.  :cool:

Do take a travel scope it is well worth it. everything is so much higher in the sky. Bag those M's that are elusive from the UK. :-) 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived