APT connectivity issues with EOS

Thank you for your kind words!

The problem looks to be with the driver... Print/PTP is a kind of standard protocol and the camera acts like USB storage...

If you manage to get EOS Utility working, then APT will work too :)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a last resort, (and knowing it might be unusable even if it worked), I attempted to install Virtual PC with XP on it just to run the camera drivers and APT.

Unfortunately, the required windows update pack rejected, I'm assuming due to the lack of virtualization on the processor.

So, when I can work myself up to it sometime in the future I will probably put XP (or maybe try a stock 32-bit Windows 7 first) back on there.

DSLR Shutter is working anyway, I will just have to cope without seeing the larger images on the netbook screen and the automatic aquisition of images for AstroTortilla for now.

If you have access to other 32bits machine you can try it just see if it will work :)

That's a good idea but the rest of mine are all 64-bit and I'm pretty sure family are all on 64-bit as well (having installed most of them :smiley: )

From reading your own experience Ivo, I'm almost certain that it's my cut down version of 7 that's the problem, so stock 32-bit 7 should work :smiley:

And a week ago I took the 3 old desktops that I've been given :rolleyes:  to the recycling centre. I could have used one of those to make sure !

That's a good idea but the rest of mine are all 64-bit and I'm pretty sure family are all on 64-bit as well (having installed most of them :smiley: )

From reading your own experience Ivo, I'm almost certain that it's my cut down version of 7 that's the problem, so stock 32-bit 7 should work :smiley:

And a week ago I took the 3 old desktops that I've been given :rolleyes:  to the recycling centre. I could have used one of those to make sure !

Just for info. I run Canon utils for my 1000D and APT on a Windows 7 64 bit machine without any issues - no special drivers etc...

I think winodws does a fine job of 32bit emulation when it needs to. It's worth checking on a 64 bit machine at least you'll know the Netbook build is the culprit.

Thanks Simon, I would give that a go, but it's impossible to install a 32 bit driver on a 64 bit OS without using a virtual install. Canon never released a 64 bit driver for the 350d as they classed it too old to bother.

I've read plenty on here and elsewhere on the net, including the guy I bought the camera from, to suggest that the only way to get around the problem is to use a virtual machine (or dual boot, I suppose).

Archived