Banner.jpg.39bf5bb2e6bf87794d3e2a4b88f26f1b.jpg

MicroFocuser for SCT

The C925 I have doesn't have any mirror flop. The focuser is a must have for me now - except there are none in stock :(

They have improved dramatically over the years, and the 9.25 is perhaps the 'Best of Breed' out there - plus the mirror is not that heavy to start with.

ChrisH

These look great and a definite future upgrade. I've got a c8 and considered a crayford but they seem to all weigh a tonne and will push the ep even further away from the tube. Mines already getting on for 20lb or it will be with a dslr on there. I need to think about lightness and this fits the bill

Max

This is the crayford that I was briefly tempted by. Can be found in America for as little as $80 plus p&p! Get good reviews too but my C8 is already carrying a bit of weight and if I want to add a dslr in the future my mount will be overloaded and really struggling.

They weigh in at 3lb and look much bigger in real life apparently which would put my EP at around knee height at the zenith haha

So all in all "I'm oot" and will be opting for the feather touch when I get round to it.

post-35131-0-26579900-1392971777.jpg

Hmm..should get my C925 next week. As it'll be used mainly for imaging I was wondering if it would make any difference adding the Feathertouch as well as the Moonlite (with the internal reducer thread). Expensive solution but.. ?

Hmm..should get my C925 next week. As it'll be used mainly for imaging I was wondering if it would make any difference adding the Feathertouch as well as the Moonlite (with the internal reducer thread). Expensive solution but.. ?

I have found my stock focuser to be most excellent on the C9.25 I have. Maybe I've just got lucky as I am very critical of focusers and generally moan about them! I can get the smallest of focusing movement with ease, I'm very impressed with it and while expecting to have to change it, most certainly won't be. You may be as pleasantly surprised.

My C9.25 also has zero mirror flop as well and being so impressed with this scope have a new FT micro focuser on the way and will report back here after its fitted and I have used it a bit .

On a side note I had a sadly now sold NG 127mm triplet with a FT3035 focuser and it is to this day the best focuser I have ever used ,, period ! just so well made and precise ,, beautiful gear .

Brian.

Edited by Brian Nordstrom

Well my new FT micro focuser arrived today , beautiful as usual .

But sad to say my new Nokia 1020 windows phone ( with 40+ mega pixles) won't communicate with my computer ?? yes it charges ok but ???? .

Not to worry I will sort this , man its a nice bit of gear and it will be fitted tomorrow as my C9.25 is out doing Jupiter so well  ,,

Thanks for the photos so far ,, cool stuff .

Photos coming soon .of mine , I cant stop playing with it , its typical Feathertouch in a small package ..

Brian.

Has anyone compared the Starlight Feather touch with the Baader 2" SC Steeltrack Crayford Focuser?

These are roughly the same price so it would be interesting to have a comparison.

I used a steeltrack with my CPC1100 when it first arrived. It made the already back heavy scope to be very back heavy indeed. When you loosen the Alt clutch then the rear end would plummet down (with eyepieces etc as well) which made me nervous I would end up with breakages.

I got rid of the steeltrack and changed to a feathertouch micro focuser - I changed the visual back to the baader clicklock oversized visual back and the balance was much closer (and safer)

* FLO can get you the oversized 3.25 inch visual back if you phone them, it is not on their website.

I'm new to this, so go easy - I've only managed 2 nights under dark skies using my new/old rig.

I have a second hand 'Classic' LX200 scope fitted with a mirror/stabiliser lock such as this http://www.astro-engineering.com/prod/Astro-Engineering/mirrorlock/AC456.html

Is a Feathertouch MicroFocuser a better option than a Feathertouch Crayford Style or could both be used?

I'm not into AP btw just visual stuff for now.

Cheers

Graham