Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Can I 'store' bins mounted on monopod?

Eastridge

Hi,  Having got some Revelation 15x70's which I am using as per Steve's recommended 'starter' set up of mounted on Monopod using trigger grip and metal L bracket, they are great for just picking up when there is a gap in clouds etc.

So, they have for the last few days been left mounted, but as they are not then stored 'flat' I am concerned that if I did that long term it could put stresses on the body that would affect the optics in some way?  Am I worrying needlessly or are there any good or bad ways to do this?

If I put them 'flat on their top with the monopod and grip sticking up, does the weight of the grip (lovely metal beast!) in particular bear down or the bridge??? I have tried other positions like placed upright on the 70 dia lenses ( with caps on of course) and the grip angled  so monopd also rests on table...

I would prefer not to have to fiddle having to screw L bracket onto them every time before use as having them like this 'grab and go' is so handy, but don't want to ruin them with poor storage.     

Appreciate any thoughts, thanks.      

Opinion only:

Optics, even robust optics (which the Rev isn't!) need better protective storage than things like monopods and trigger grips. Although what you suggest is unlikely to cause harm directly, it massively increases vulnerability to harm. One "feature"  of the BA1 series binocular (which includes the Rev) is the ease with which prisms are nudged out of alignment. I would therefore recommend that you don't store them as you suggest. With a bit of practice and familiarity, it becomes second nature to screw in the L bracket, even with gloved hands in the dark while walking (sling the binocular around your neck for safety if you do this). I keep my L brackets, attached to mounting plates, in the binocular case: it's a 30-second job to fix the bracket to the binocular, then slip the plate into the trigger grip (or other mount).

HTH

I hadnt even thought of how in what position the bins being stored would potentially leave them open to vulnerability. I also have the rev 15x70 and currently store them attactched to the L bravket and plate in their case which hangs on the coat rack, ie, the objective lenses facing the floor and the ep's facing the ceiling. Is this leaving them open to any vulnerability??!

Thanks!

Right, ok. They'll have to live upstairs as our ancient little house has no storage whatsoever up or down, but at least up in my bedroom, I can lay them flat out the way of kids.

Cheers to whoever started this thread and Steve. x

Sorry Steve, I took ur ' no' as ina stark ' no', dont ever store ur bins like that, them it struck me you might mean 'no' it wont do them any harm. Really sorry to ask dopey questions, but which is it  (embarrassed smiley face)?

At first I thought the binos in questions were super expensive.   However it seems that these are very reasonably priced about £50 on Amazon. I have two pairs of binos that I keep in the car.  This is because I saw comet McNaught from a car and didn't have any binos with me.  Carrying binos in the car I was able to observe PANSTARRS from my office.

So what I don't get is that at that price range if they can't be left in any orientation but flat for storage are they actually useful?

What I believe Steve is saying isn't that storing them upright or however will damage them, but that if you leave them lying around in the open stuck to a monopod sooner or later you're going to whack them, and the cheaper binoculars won't like being whacked.

What I believe Steve is saying isn't that storing them upright or however will damage them, but that if you leave them lying around in the open stuck to a monopod sooner or later you're going to whack them, and the cheaper binoculars won't like being whacked.

Ah I see. I do keep mine in their case in the car.

Thanks all, I know £50 bins. isn't much to some of you but when neither of you are working any more you need to take care of whatever you can afford.  In fact even when we were both working & very 'comfortable' I was bought up to take care of my things regardless of cost , maybe I am out of touch with new 'disposable culture'.  Just re-read that & now I feel like a grumpy old person & I'm only late 40's - sorry!  

Anyway, thanks I get no need to be super careful ( I too keep a pair of 10x50's in the car)  but as I suspected the uneven stresses etc. of leaving attached to the monopod like I have been increase the risks.  So, I will probably try the leave L bracket on at home & use the QR plate.  Of course, if I go out and about they will be properly cased up etc. 

Thanks again.

Really sorry to ask dopey questions, but which is it (embarrassed smiley face)?

The only dopey question is the one you don't ask! I meant, "No, it's not too vulnerable." Apologies that my terseness was ambiguous.

On the batphone, so expect weird autocorrect

Archived