Hello from London, just taken my 1st pic of Jupiter !!

moonmankey

Wow. That is an amazing image of Jupiter for a windy and light polluted London night. I was split on whether getting one of the really cheap webcams was worth it or whether to go for the far more expensive SPC900 model everyone recommends. You've convinced me its worth a try on the Xbox cam!

As my name suggests, I'm also based in London (alas without a proper back garden - although I do have a view of about a third of the sky from the carpark at the back of my block of flats). I also have the Celestron 127 SLT which is pretty much the same setup as yours. It's great as a London scope - probably the best truly 'tube portable' scope out there I reckon.

Welcome to the forums, although I am somewhat of a newcomer myself.

Thanks for all the kind comments, the xbox cam surprised me too with the quality of the image, CEX (uk.webuy.com) are selling these for £1.50 at the moment, im going to grab a few more before they become scarce like the spc900, just need to figure out how to focus the cam with the Barlow lens?

Bring on the clear sky's!!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to SGL.

Nice photo of Jupiter.

Get yourself an LPR filter for your eyepieces and it may well be able to be fitted to the webcam, definitely with a barlow as it screws onto the internal thread on the bottom of the barlow.

The filter will cut out the sodium light wavelength and give better contrast 9f the sky and planets.

Hello,

I used to do a lot of photography and am now interested in astrophotography.  I am presently working on an adapter for a Logitec C270 webcam and am waiting for a T-ring for my cannon ftb.

Scope is a Televue Renaissance 101 f5.4 alt/az mount. Any suggestions about focal length for the adapters??

Thanks

Archived