Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Herstmonceux Festival of Astronomy 10th anniversary 2014

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The kids just love it when the Star Wars clan turn up!

I`m one pitch 47 so hope to say hello to everyone.

It has come to my attention that this years event is only three days before full moon! Normally it is held a week either side of the new moon.

It`s a little bit of a disappointment because the night sky can be pretty good down there, when conditions are good. I usually go with the family and the kids really do enjoy it so we will still have a good time soaking up the atmosphere and getting involved with all the activities going on. 

• 5 months later...

The kids just love it when the Star Wars clan turn up!

I`m one pitch 47 so hope to say hello to everyone.

It has come to my attention that this years event is only three days before full moon! Normally it is held a week either side of the new moon.

It`s a little bit of a disappointment because the night sky can be pretty good down there, when conditions are good. I usually go with the family and the kids really do enjoy it so we will still have a good time soaking up the atmosphere and getting involved with all the activities going on. 

I booked up without considering the moon and then realised it would be nearly full. Seems odd to have the festival on those dates. Not sure if I will make the trip down for a washed out sky.

I booked up without considering the moon and then realised it would be nearly full. Seems odd to have the festival on those dates. Not sure if I will make the trip down for a washed out sky.

Hersty is more of a festival celebrating astronomy rather than a star party. I went last year with estwing and had the pleasure of meeting a few from sgl (and looking through a few monster dobs compliments of rustysplit and simon :)). coming from the dark side, it was also my first experience of Mr Naglers fine products. I think I managed 1 10 min sub with a green laser splitting the frame in two. Had a ball though

Hersty is more of a festival celebrating astronomy rather than a star party. I went last year with estwing and had the pleasure of meeting a few from sgl (and looking through a few monster dobs compliments of rustysplit and simon :)). coming from the dark side, it was also my first experience of Mr Naglers fine products. I think I managed 1 10 min sub with a green laser splitting the frame in two. Had a ball though

yes it does look like there's a lot of good stuff going on - and the setting is great.

The moon will be setting about 1.30-2 ish so still some dark sky available in the east and near zenith before then. Can always us it as an opportunity to tick off some of the Lunar 100? This will be our fourth year, and it is always a good laugh. The pub quiz is not to be missed. Didn't realise how thick I was (still am?) until last years effort :grin:

The moon will be setting about 1.30-2 ish so still some dark sky available in the east and near zenith before then. Can always us it as an opportunity to tick off some of the Lunar 100? This will be our fourth year, and it is always a good laugh. The pub quiz is not to be missed. Didn't realise how thick I was (still am?) until last years effort :grin:

Oh I don't know. Last isn't that bad ;).....Why do you think Calv and I avoided it :D

• 1 month later...

I am going. Went last year. Not sure what plot - paperwork says family plot 11, but I originally booked a different plot (103 or 104) and they told me to change the paperwork when I rang them querying it... I fear it might get double booked...

I camp in my Nato Green campervan and battery let me down last year - engine wouldn't start. Had to be dragged around the field by a long rope (the campervan, not me lol). So please do come and say hello if you spot my van. :smiley:

I am taking my SkyWatcher Explorer 200P - I have never used it before, so I might need a hand setting up (please) :confused:

Sarah

thanks Alan!

was really looking forward to going - until i rung up to camp and no spaces - i was a bit late in trying though! :( ive emailed them to ask if have last minute availability for 1x night (saturday)

If cant camp then will prob have to give a miss, may come along in daytime i.e sat afternoon - so will say hi if there around then Jamie

thanks Alan!

was really looking forward to going - until i rung up to camp and no spaces - i was a bit late in trying though! :( ive emailed them to ask if have last minute availability for 1x night (saturday)

If cant camp then will prob have to give a miss, may come along in daytime i.e sat afternoon - so will say hi if there around then Jamie

If it's clear, just do an all-nighter :D.

Unsurprisingly all the pitches at the Observatory Science Centre have gone now, but I found a pub a mile and a half down the road that has a campsite at the back for £15 per pitch per night.

The Bulls Head,  http://bullsheadborehamstreet.com/index.html  

Bloke I spoke to on the phone this afternoon very helpful and laid back; plenty of pitches available, pay at the bar on arrival.

Really looking forward to it, maybe bump into some of you there.

Just checked the forecast for the weekend. Herstmonceux festival of astronomy is from Friday evening to Sunday afternoon and the forecast is for cloud from friday evening to sunday afternoon.

https://www.metcheck.com/HOBBIES/astronomy_forecast.asp?LocationID=4118

And this is why I never look at forcasts before a festival   :p

Well you're a helpful cheery devil aren't you? :wink:

The forecast was for rain last year and it turned out lovely. Good weekend out whatever happens.

And this is why I never look at forcasts before a festival   :p

At least it looks like it`s not going to rain.

I`m not too worried if it is cloudy anyway because of the Moon being about and logistical restraints mean I wont be able to bring the dob along anyway, but a clear night would be a bonus!

Looking forward to the talk by Lucie Green and a stroll round Herstmonceux Castle gardens. Should still be a good weekend just having a laugh and enjoying being there.

I`ll look out for you other SGL ers while I`m there.

At least it looks like it`s not going to rain.

I`m not too worried if it is cloudy anyway because of the Moon being about and logistical restraints mean I wont be able to bring the dob along anyway, but a clear night would be a bonus!

Looking forward to the talk by Lucie Green and a stroll round Herstmonceux Castle gardens. Should still be a good weekend just having a laugh and enjoying being there.

I`ll look out for you other SGL ers while I`m there.

To be honest, I'm not too worried either but that's because it's more of a festival about astronomy than a star party. Get 50 people with small scopes in a field and if it's cloudy that's a problem, get 500 people at a site with small scopes, professional observatories, a planetarium, lectures, trade stands, beer tent, local societies, radio astronomy, etc and suddenly the clouds are a lot less important.

Regardless of the weather it's one of the events that brings me back down to Sussex.

Not a bad weekend despite the weather. I couldn't get there today and last night was just a little too moonlit and slightly cloudy to do anything much more that look at the moon. I set my scope up to look at the ring nebula partly because I knew it would be a challenge under those conditions and it was about 50:50 whether people could pick out the ring. As soon as someone came past with some children though I swung back to moon because, let's be honest, under those conditions the moon has a wow factor which faint fuzzies don't. I didn't even spend too much money, just £12 on a T adapter and a couple of lectures (and far too much on coffee!). I would have gone to more lectures l but I was busy pointing cars in the right direction when some of the lectures were on and going to see Elvis today so I couldn't get there for the last day.

Archived