Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_android_vs_ios_winners.thumb.jpg.803608cf7eedd5cfb31eedc3e3f357e9.jpg

Richard136

Vixen mount on an Intes Micro M603

Just picked up one of these lovely scopes second hand.

The mount bar (vixen style dovetail) is continuous and doesn't have any holes/shapes in it to take the screws on my mount head. In essence the scope is just held in place by me screwing the nut very tight. Is his normal or is here a better way? I can't help but feel this is less secure than a normal camera tripod!

It's only the shortest dovetail bars that have those indentations, the longer ones are usually straight edged and, yes, they are held in place by tightening the 2 screws down onto them.  It works well enough despite seeming a bit crude.

I use a similar system on my Istar 6" F/12 refractor and that tube is over 6 feet long and weighs 35 lbs !