30sec_exposures_2021.jpg.48851b1871a4bf9500ebd53c3e790d81.jpg

Skymax 150 Pro & Eclipse 200 Maksutov

Hi all,

Has anyone seen any reviews for these scopes? Or even the whereabouts of a few revealing photos. I've done endless google searches and turned up nothing.

I'm pretty confident the Skymax will be a knockout, just based on how the 127 performs. But what I really want to know is does it have a standard SCT thread to the rear cell or even a proper 2" visual back?

As for the Eclipse, just want to know how they perform.

Regards

Russ

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks James.

Unfortunately they seem to be the only pics available. In particular there's no shot of the rear of the Skymax which is really annoying.

Really need to hear some views of a consumer regards the Eclipse as absolutely nothing is known about them.

Thanks for trying matey.

Russ

The eclipse reviews still seem very few & far between Russ. TBH I thought we would have seen some more on these buy now.

I did email Phil @ Astrophoto (james link above) he is still awaiting stock!!.

Not sure whats going here!.. Skymax 150 all the way for me matey.

Rob

Warehouse Express are doing it for £445. But you can pick and choose the retailer because they are all promising to match the best price.

Of course a major bonus of Warehouse Express is there choice of interest free credit or 9 months buy now pay later.

Russ

That's the draw back of the Maks. But i love em all the same. Currently got two - 127 Skymax and an Intes 603. Amazingly i find the Skymax as good as the Intes, which is why the Skymax is my most used scope. And hence why i'm so keen to get my hands on the 150.

Russ

The cool down time on one of those things must be horrific in the winter? It'd go well on your CG5 though James, the mount would handle it easily.

Cool down time's i wouldnt know about to be honest Gaz although it wouldnt be so much as a problem because the scope is housed in the Outhouse like a fridge in there in winter :)

My main problem is the uncomfortable position's near the Zenith this with even the mount tripods at full extention :? using the ST102 has just been luxury recently.

James

The cool down time on one of those things must be horrific in the winter? It'd go well on your CG5 though James, the mount would handle it easily.

My main problem is the uncomfortable position's near the Zenith this with even the mount tripods at full extention :? using the ST102 has just been luxury recently.

James

James, believe me using the Mak is a pleasure. An boy is it sharp on the planets. I had the 6" Skywatcher refractor last year and any images using the 300D required lying on the lawn. Which was usually wet with dew.

Which reminds me, i think Ant and Rob may remember this. While the refractor and EOS captured the sky, i would take the time to stare up at the night sky. Just lie back and take it all in. Drift of into another world. Unfortunately i drifted off alright, I fell asleep, out cold. It was 1am the last time i remember looking at a watch. When i woke up it was 4am. The camera batteries had died and everything, including me, was soaking wet. What an idiot! :oops:

Russ

Which reminds me, i think Ant and Rob may remember this. While the refractor and EOS captured the sky, i would take the time to stare up at the night sky. Just lie back and take it all in. Drift of into another world. Unfortunately i drifted off alright, I fell asleep, out cold. It was 1am the last time i remember looking at a watch. When i woke up it was 4am. The camera batteries had died and everything, including me, was soaking wet. What an idiot!
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: If there was ever an insentive to sell my refractor that surely has to be it :) Ya live and learn..

JAMES :)

Yep I remember that Russ, had a good ol' chuckle to myself when you told me.

I really quite fancy one of these SkyMax scopes... Maybe save up for the 127. On the other hand the scyscan is also on my wish list but I think thats out of my league at the moment.

I really liked the white mounts when I first say them, but I'm not so sure now... Think blacks better.

Ant

I really liked the white mounts when I first say them, but I'm not so sure now... Think blacks better.

Ant

I agree, I think they would look nice in the shop/showroom/pictures, but in 'real life' - I'm not so sure!

Even at kelling you could still see the scope - you couldn't see the scopes that well at the TSP though! all the steps/walkways had little red LED's on them.

Ant

Now thats a neat idea!!

Rob

Thanks Gaz.

I also visited the Orion website where they've now added the 150:

http://www.telescope.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=92281&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=4&iSubCat=10&iProductID=92281&relateInfo=2&add=yes#tabLink

They had the picture i was hoping for, looking at the rear. Sadly Synta haven't added a standard SCT thread. It was the one thing i was hoping for.

Apart from that it looks good. Would really love to see some more pics of the Eclipse 8".

Russ