The jury is still out on my new SW UWA 6mm EP on SW 200P

furio

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A couple of nights ago I had Jupiter working well with 165x / 200x / 240x.

It was nice to push the boundries and see what was achievable.

But yes - 165x gave a better, clearer, more consistent view, with less fuzzy periods.

The seeing was good, 

And the scope had been left outside for two hours while I waited for the clouds to clear.

The cooling down time must have made a big difference to the detail which was available.

Yesterday I had a crisp, clean, wonderful view of Jupiter at 171x with my new 7mm Xcel-LX. It was so well defined, i was able to see the great red spot as well as Io beginning its front transition. I agree on the mag, 171x is all I need though I was wondering how it would sort out with the 5mm at 240x.

Last night was my most succesfull night since i have me scope. I looked at several Messier objects... and i makes me want a lower power plossl like 32mm with very good contrast. Its gonna be a new thread soon since i don't want to hijack my own thread! :)

171x is great for Jupiter but your scope could handle more power with targets like Saturn, Mars and the Moon. If the seeing conditions were nice and stable 240x would be feasible although having something around 200x would be useful as well. I've found its worth having a range of higher power options so that you can find the one that is "just right" for a given set of conditions and target.

Archived