Horizon on Mars tonight

Davey-T

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Much as i'd love to go to Mars, and mankind can/will.................not sure i'd buy a one-way ticket and be a guine pig.......................although history would record my mission and i would become a pioneer/legend for doing so. Boring as my life here on Earth is...................i would not sign up for a suicide mission.

Put me off big time, after listening to the geeks going on about who would do what mentally I decided that rather than be trapped in a capsule millions of miles in deep space with a couple of potential murderers and nutcases, id rather take my chances here. By the time they get to 2033 I think they will have invented something faster, easier and more reliable.

I enjoyed it thoroughly, didn't put me off wanting to go to Mars one bit, mind you I'll probably be too old by the time anyone goes :rolleyes:.

I missed it, I will have to find it somewhere it sounds like it was worth watching.

If you will be to old Jonathan what chance do we have :grin:

I'll be 77, so I don't know if I'll even be around to see it.

I found the program very USA-centric, though someone near the end did grudgingly accept that it might have to be an international effort.

In any case we need a much better method of propulsion, to get the transit time down to weeks rather than months, and I think there will have to be several preliminary runs to deliver the equipment needed to set up a base and dig down for radiation protection.

Another 20 years? Maybe if a big enough international effort is put together, though I fear that in 20 years we may have more pressing concerns.

It was nice to get the impression that there's still a sense of ambition at NASA, I'd started to form the view that if space exploration was left in their hands alone we'll still be sending glorified thermometers into space come the year 3000. But I liked the attitude of the chap who reckoned that if all the money was on the table they could do it within 10 years.

By 2033 I will be 87!!!

But the Red Planet is a challenge worth the undertaking. Not the proposal of Mars One though, not adventurous or bold enough, let alone the fact that it is from my perspective a financial joke.

How about a Mars Bank given by international agreement title over say a million square kilometres that can be sub-divided and sold. Such an investment could reap rewards for descendants of purchasers in "future times."

With a good enough "sale promotion" the tens of billions of dollars required to design and build a sustainable colony just may be forthcoming.

Sounds nuts? Sometimes nuts works...

Personally i'd like to see a permanent lunar base set-up, which can be used as a test-bed for any Mars mission technology, before we take the steps to the red planet. Could be used to test remote/robot base building, landers, rovers etc... More achievable and might spark international cooperation like the ISS which could continue for any future human Mars exploration. But then again I doubt NASA will listen to me.

Personally i'd like to see a permanent lunar base set-up, which can be used as a test-bed for any Mars mission technology, before we take the steps to the red planet. Could be used to test remote/robot base building, landers, rovers etc... More achievable and might spark international cooperation like the ISS which could continue for any future human Mars exploration. But then again I doubt NASA will listen to me.

With you on this, natural staging post particularly if we can mine the water for fuel and have enough solar energy to power the process.

Archived