SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Deep Sky Stacker - Out of Memory

I've split this out to it's own thread, that way you're more likely to get notice and answered. You don't mention what camera you're using to shoot the images, what version of DSS you're using etc. Please provide as much detail as possible.

I believe DSS is a 32bit application so is unable to use the 8gb ram you have available (limited to 4gb). Some of the processes within DSS are very memory hungry - drizzling for example. Reboot your laptop prior to use to free up as much memory for DSS to work with. Do not have any other programs running in the background.  

i'm still getting this, i7 2.3ghz 8gb ddr3 ram 1.5tb sshd no drizzle and still run out of memory. photoshop does better

Davefrance is correct, DSS is a 32 bit program and unable to use the 8Gb of ram, about 3 is the bestit can manage. Make sure that you uncheck the drizzle or use the custom rectangle from the main window to define a region of interest for either 2X or 3X, the sizes are indicted by the rectangle. I use small CCDs and the file size is  much smaller than a DSLR so usually there is no problem.

Regards,

A.G

• 4 weeks later...

32 bit windows applications can - by default - only use 2GB of memory each - even on 64bit windows. However, there is a tweak that can allow them to use up to 4gb. This can be done either by the creator of the application, or by the user if they are prepared to put on their geek hat...

The trick is to set the 'LARGEADDRESSAWARE' flag on the .exe file to tell Windows it is capable of using up to 4Gb memory even if it is 32 bit. This is described here : http://gisgeek.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/set-32bit-executable-largeaddressaware.html

The 'editbin' tool that is needed to make the change can be found as part of Microsoft Visual Studio - it should be included in the free 'Express 2013 for Windows Desktop' edition.

I have just tried this trick on DeepSkyStacker.exe and it still runs (at least it starts up). I don't have any data sets that would push its memory usage beyond the 2Gb limit, so I can't say if it helps or not. There is always the possibility with this sort of trick that the program code can't cope with memory addresses >2gb for some reason - if that is the case it will crash when it encounters one and it will be time to give up on this idea and copy the original .exe back.

I'm afraid that I don't want to re-distribute a patched version of DeepSkyStacker that may or may not work properly (and would probably breach the author's copyright) which is why I've described the changes to make rather than including a link.

Robin

• 5 months later...

Make sure you have the latest version of DSS, make sure drizzle isnt selected. I have just stacked 100 lights with 40 darks and 40 flats all from a 16 bit Kodak 8300 chip with no problems at all (apart from taking a bit of time).

This just helped me. Drizzle was checked and unchecking it enabled me to stack my image.

Out of interest, what does Drizzle do and how would you use it so that it does not cause this error?

--- Alistair

• 1 year later...
On 2/10/2014 at 22:36, lensman57 said:

Davefrance is correct, DSS is a 32 bit program and unable to use the 8Gb of ram, about 3 is the bestit can manage. Make sure that you uncheck the drizzle or use the custom rectangle from the main window to define a region of interest for either 2X or 3X, the sizes are indicted by the rectangle. I use small CCDs and the file size is  much smaller than a DSLR so usually there is no problem.

Regards,

A.G

I'm running DSS on a 16 cpu server with 64gb memory  and it runs out of memory, thanks for the info and it's made me sad I can't use drizzle

• 7 months later...

The  editbin /LARGEADDRESSAWARE trick to make DSS address 4Gb memory worked for me so I could use x2 drizzle on a laptop with 8Gb memory. At least for 5 light frames of 6016x4000 px NEF (raw) files. I downloaded the free version of Microsoft Visual Studio Express 2012 to get access to the "editbin" tool.

Monitoring the memory usage by DSS in Windows Task Manager, it appears to be the very last stage after stacking when it tries to load the Autosave.TIF final image which blows the 2Gb barrier. My test reached about 2.6Gb used after the editbin change.

All straightforward. Hope this is some help guys.

Well I did a strict before-and-after test and it worked for me! You're actually modifying the executable, so this is post-compile time stuff. This link explains a bit more:

https://helloacm.com/large-address-aware/

Basically, as I understand it, you can either set your development  environment settings when developing so that this flag gets set in the final executable header, or you can use editbin to add it later, either way has the same effect, the flag is set in the executable.

Yes, the flag just tells Windows whether to give the app 4gb of memory (flag set) or restrict it to the normal 2gb (flag not set).

In 32 bit windows, apps were always restricted to 2gb of memory (not quite strictly true, but true enough). That meant that some programmers used the top bit of a memory address that wouldn't normally be used to store some other information. If programs are doing that anywhere then adding /LARGEADDDRESSAWARE will lead to bad things happening. If they aren't (and most don't)  then it should be fine.

cheers,

Robin

Archived