SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Lodestar Live Beta update

DoctorD

Hi

Paul has sent me a new version of Lodestar Live - no colour yet, however this version does do a very good  RAW to mono conversion - no more blocky pixels.

Other features include the ability to store and restore dark frames.

Colour decoding is not far away - Paul has the algorithm sorted and needs to integrate it into the main code.

I managed to get a little time under the stars tonight between the clouds.

Heres a couple of screen grabs - all processed using Lodestar Live only and seen as I viewed them live.

Flame Nebula

Flame Nebula 2014 02 09

M81 and M82

M81 And M82 2014 02 09

All taken with:

INED70 F6.3 reducer Lodestar-C 30 seconds single frame
Lodestar Live software
iOptron Minitower II in AZ mode

Happy Days...

Paul

A couple of nice captures - glad the app is proving useful (and we got there in the end with the Lodestar-C pixel colour arrangement readout mystery).

I love the FoV your little frac is giving... I was so tempted by the WO GT-81 at Astrofest and this makes me even more tempted. M81 and M82 together is one of my favourites!

Hi Paul

Thanks, the INED70 is native 420mm fl (F6) with the reducer it comes down to about 300mm or F4.3 - I cannot push the reducer any further as there is insufficient inwards travel. The reducer is mounted on a 2"to SCT adapter then 20mm spacer followed by a T2-C mount with integral 1.25" filter holder.

It's great to get all the seven sisters together or M81 & M82 in the same field.

Thanks for all your great work on Lodestar Live !

CS

Paul

Thanks everyone for the kind comments on the app!

rkc if you would like a copy ping me an IM - it is not closed beta but I have yet to sort out a website. That's high up on the list but I want to finish off the work on displaying in colour. Currently it is a mac only app, windows is in the works but I need to finish some work on the USB interface side of things then I can release for windows too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Hi folks!

Thank you for your kind interest in the app!

The latest version supports both the colour and mono versions of the camera, with colour cameras now displaying in full colour. I have not yet fully implemented stacking, but am working on it. I also need to finish work on the windows variant, the majority of the code is common with OSX apart from the USB comms side. So when complete this will be available for windows.

I haven't had much time recently to work on the app as I would like as work has been very busy, but I will keep the forum up to date with news on progress!

Hi Guys

Sorry for the radio silence - I've not had much opportunity to get out under the stars for a while.

Paul has released an OSx version supporting colour - here are a couple of screen grabs of M42 captures with LSL, INED70 with F6.3. reducer at x0.7 and the Lodestar-C at 20s exposure (I was using my Skywatcher AZ mount as the Minitower was in for repair and could not push it past 20 seconds).

First with the sliders set to see the extent of the nebulosity:

M42 LSL 2

And slightly less gain showing more of the core:

M42 LSL 1

The black blob in the lower right hand corner is a dust bunny somewhere in the optical train - I think I need to clean my reducer!
I cannot comment on the availability of releases  - Paul81 will let you know when the Windows versions might be available.
Clear Skies
Paul

Here's a stacked version - I usually just throw the frames at DSS and tweak the levels, this has been processed in Nebulosity and I used multiple curves to try and high light the detail in the nebula.

M42

I can see that the processing side can be very interesting, especially when you do not have the opportunity to get out under the stars!!

Clear Skies

Paul

Superb result Paul! This is the kind of use I was intending with Lodestar Live - my application provides simple quick image processing for instant results whilst out under the stars but because it exports all the raw data you can apply more in depth processing when the weather is not playing ball to get even better results!

I still want to improve on what is in the app, but it will never match that available in dedicated apps like nebulosity as that's not really the point of it!

I like this nice mix of quick video imaging whilst out in the field but also in depth processing when in the comfort of a warm house!

Keep up the great work!

Hi Paul

I agree, Lodestar Live is the perfect tool for live viewing whilst capturing data for processing later - the ability to see the results in colour as they come off the camera is unique I think - all other CCD capture software seems to have this as a secondary process usually after dark frame subtraction.

The use of bad pixel maps instead of dark frames would make a difference, especially for the colour Lodestar and the ability to apply various "curves" would make extracting the detail form the image a  little more flexible.

Nebulosity can manage data acquisition, however I much prefer to use your Lodestar Live!!

Once again thanks for  all the effort you have put into this!

Clear skies

Paul

So....

Bored with all these clouds I thought I'd have a play with my Birthday Present - a Raspberry Pi.

I've managed to set up the Pi as an Astro Hub, working as a Wifi Access point, create a Skyfi style connection to my mount and set up USB over IP so I can connect to the Lodestar.

Net result, I can control the mount from my lap top over wifi and use Lodestar Live over wifi too!!

All I need now is to make a 12V to 5V PSU so that I can power the Pi from my 12V Battery along with the mount and I will be able to have a remote set up that works over Wifi in the field.

I used the following sites to get all the info I needed:

1. Pi WiFi AP  - http://www.maketecheasier.com/set-up-raspberry-pi-as-wireless-access-point/

2. Ski Fi style Telescope link - http://astroland.funxiun.com/remote-control-your-goto-telescope-mount-using-a-raspberry-pi-and-skysafari/

3. USB-IP - http://www.virtualhere.com/usb_server_software (free to use for a single device)

I have A Model B Raspberry Pi running Raspbian, RALINK WiFi Dongle and a 4 port powered hub

How cool is that?

Paul

1. Hello All

The Loadstar Live program looks interesting. Will it work with a Superstar- C camera. I would love to see how my Superstar -C would do on my Lunt 60mm Solar scope. For the most part I use my Mallincam Xtreme to broadcast solar on nightskiesnetwork but  I have always wondered what the superstar can do. I love the idea of using the Raspberry Pi . I have just been reading up on the Raspberry and have thought of giving it a try.

Thanks Guys

Tim

I've managed to set up the Pi as an Astro Hub, working as a Wifi Access point, create a Skyfi style connection to my mount and set up USB over IP so I can connect to the Lodestar.

Net result, I can control the mount from my lap top over wifi and use Lodestar Live over wifi too!!

How cool is that?

Paul

Very!

So....

Bored with all these clouds I thought I'd have a play with my Birthday Present - a Raspberry Pi.

All I need now is to make a 12V to 5V PSU so that I can power the Pi from my 12V Battery along with the mount and I will be able to have a remote set up that works over Wifi in the field.

I used the following sites to get all the info I needed:

1. Pi WiFi AP  - http://www.maketecheasier.com/set-up-raspberry-pi-as-wireless-access-point/

2. Ski Fi style Telescope link - http://astroland.funxiun.com/remote-control-your-goto-telescope-mount-using-a-raspberry-pi-and-skysafari/

3. USB-IP - http://www.virtualhere.com/usb_server_software (free to use for a single device)

I have A Model B Raspberry Pi running Raspbian, RALINK WiFi Dongle and a 4 port powered hub

How cool is that?

Paul

Really cool

Thanks Paul this is just what I was looking for will give it a try. I currently use WiFi Scope software (by Main Sequence http://www.mainsequencesoftware.com/Products/WiFiScope) on the PC  with the iPad but it keeps locking up, this looks like the way forward.

I'll need to have a good read on bad pixel maps, I agree it does sound a good feature to add. More sophisticated curves are definitely on the roadmap, I'll be trying a variable mid-point on the linear scaling to start with but it would be good to get non-linear scaling in as well.

Top result with the Raspberry Pi - I must give this a go so I can avoid the cold when video imaging! So you can re-route any generic USB access? I was gearing up to produce a network enabled version of Lodestar Live and then port the SX interface code to a small network based service that runs on the Pi. Sounds like no need now! :-)

Do you find the Pi WiFi module has a decent range? I have heard some of them are a little weak so struggle to get a signal from the garden - no biggie for me as I have a small garden.

Tim, the current code will only enumerate a Lodestar, but I can easily expand out to the other SX cameras. I was planning on doing this when I finish off the Windows interface code, so it should be no problem to integrate the Superstar (hopefully it uses the same CYGM colour arrangement as the Lodestar-C..). If you do not mind doing some beta testing I am sure we can get it working without too much stress. The only other thing to bear in mind is that I haven't had a chance to optimise some of the latest colour processing code yet, so given the superstar is a high resolution the live adjustments might seem a little slow until I have completed the optimisations.

So much work, so little time!

Hi Paul

The Pi WIFI dongle is limited in range - OK for my set up which is just out side my study window.

You can get wifi dongles with proper antennas - these may have better range.

With Virtualhere you can re route any USB device and there's Windows, OSx and Linux clients available.

The server is free to use for upto 1 device or you can buy a multi device licence for $29. There may be other options available, however Virtualhere just worked!

There are performance limits based on the Pi - but for image download it seemed fast enough to keep up with the Lodestar, but it might struggle with a higher resolution camera.

HTH

Paul

Archived