Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Sandancer10

EQMOD not connecting to SW 150PDS

Hi Everyone

I have been tearing my hair out trying to get EQMOD to talk to my scope.

Basically, I bought a SW Autofocuser and have been trying to set it up with Focusmax and Maxim DL. As I understand it these 2 programs use EQMOD to 'talk' to each other the scope/focuser/camera as well. When I run the Wizard in Focusmax it shows "Telescope EQMOD ASCOM EQ5/6 is not connected" and "ASCOM Mount Hub Pro Focuser is not connected" 

I have checked the COM ports are working; COM 3 is for the telescope - Stellarium picks this up no problem. So I really don't know what else I'm doing wrong. The trouble is that now I have put the Autofocuser onto my scope I can't use it until I get this sorted out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

p.s. Thankfully Focusmax has recognised the camera 

Well the good news is that I have finally sorted out this problem after something like 14 - 16 hours working on it in total.

The Telescope, CCD and Autofocuser are all talking to Focusmax and Maxim DL.  At last I can say that my setup is truely automated - I am well chuffed, tired and relieved. Running in and out of the house to re-focus the CCD was a nightmare, but finally I can relax and enjoy my AP in comfort.  :happy1:

I'm still having the exact same issue, works fine with stellarium but cannot get it to connect to the port the usb converter is on. Don't suppose you have any idea's as no-one replied to my last cry for help ?

-Rob

• Like 1

Hi Sandancer - it's good to hear you got things sorted out. Just for clarity - EQMOD wil only (as far I know) connect to your mount - not the focuser or the camera. For them you need either a kit specific or ASCOM driver.

Hi Rob, sorry to hear you are having problems too. 

Here's a description of the steps I used to get the kit working.

EQMOD - I added my SW 150PDS and it found the driver. To use ASCOM instead of your handset you have to select 'work in pc mode'.

ASCOMPAD - this was the tricky bit. This is where you add your focuser type etc. Nowhere does it tell you that this is the program for focusing through ASCOM - I thought it was for a gamepad, but you also can control the focus in and out from the display. It depends on your Autofocus which driver you need - I had the wrong one so make sure you get the correct driver for your setup.

MAXIM DL - for the CCD - it seemed to find it no problem.

Once I had all this setup Focusmax worked fine.

I am sitting inside writing this while the system is taking images of M82.  Just had a nice brew - it doesn't get any better than this.  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

Hi Brenda

I use FocusMax and don't need Ascompad for it to work.

You should be able to connect directly to your focuser in FM and control it manually using the Jog button.

Steve

• Like 1