Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Backyard EOS for Canon 1100D

Hi,

Just taking my first steps in imaging with a dedicated set up. I have had a look through the software that came with the camera above and it has some basic settings to allow multiple exposures but not to any great sophitication.

I have been advised that Backyard EOS is a very sophisticated and yet easy to use control program for Canon cameras. It costs about $50 but for me that's a great price to pay for a bit of software that makes things easier and more flexible.

My question is: Am I right?

Many thanks in anticipation.

I have not used APT so can't compare.

I do use BYEOS and think it is excellent and well worth the price.

There is great support, too with a Yahoo group and the author (Guylain) is usually there and I have also seen him appear here on SGL.

Thoroughly recommended.

Steve

Yep, I make an appearence here too every now and then :)

Thank you for the vote of confidence Steve, very much appreciated.

Guylain

I originally bought BackyardEOS and have been very happy with it. However, I have been playing with APT just recently and have found it superb too. For the money I think it would have to be the better option. One thing that I have found really really useful with APT is that you can easily shoot at Medium JPEG quality which downloads really quickly and is much faster for framing your subject. I haven't sussed out how to easily do the same with BackyardEOS as it sets to RAW automatically - good as you can't forget to do it and end up with an imaging run shot at low quality JPEG, but a bit frustrating!

With due deference to Guylain (and all other developers supporting the astro community - without whom.....), but I'm in the other camp with APT - I have not tried BYEOS, but I have found APT very straightforward, rich in features and easy to use.

Sitting on the fence, my advice is to demo both before deciding :)

I use Backyard EOS for focusing, framing and capturing and I can highly recommend it. It's very intuitive to set up and has many useful features, especially to aid focusing.

Clearly APT has a lot of satisfied customers too, so I'd guess you can't go wrong with either application.

Craig

Sent from Android Mobile.

Archived