Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_through_the-_eyepiece.thumb.jpg.cb85f690376dcb3053c747827de6bf9e.jpg

StarryEyed

Open University (FREE) Moon Course

At Astrofest yesterday I got talking to the staff at the Open University stand. I have been studying with the OU for the last five years and always go and say hello and to see what they are up to. Any way during the discussion it was pointed out that they are running a free course on the many moons of our solar system. There is a current trend on the internet for educational institutions to offer free courses which is aimed at getting people to study using the internet and less from books.  The staff there were telling me that this course which starts in March is one of there flagship courses and they have invested heavily in multimedia.

So specifically its free, runs for eight weeks and you need only three hours a week of your time.  

https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/moons

Kevin.

• Like 9

Thanks for sharing this Kevin - signed up and ready to begin.    Perhaps if there's enough interest from members here we can start a suitable thread to share experiences.

• Like 1

+1 signed up.

I would also love a thread on here once the course is up and running.

Signed up. Cheers for the heads up Kevin.

The OU has forums for their course for student interaction with each other and the tutors, possibly to much online resources to throw at you. Running a thread here is a great idea if its not available.

Kevin, thanks for highlighting this. its a good resource and some decent courses to while away the many dark cloudy nights!

Thanks for sharing this Kevin, I have signed up :grin:

I'm currently studying with the OU and I'm heading to sign up right now... I can't think of a better way to spend three hours a week!!!!

Ive just moved this thread to a new under used home to keep it from falling down the original board threads.

Does a course like this end in an exam or is it a fact listening program does anyone know please?

I watched the video but it did not say.