Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Cone nebula, including Christmas tree & Fox fur regions

Martin-Devon

This image was taken on 25th January - I was hoping to add more data soon afterwards, but we've had a virtually non-stop battering of high winds & rain for weeks now in Devon and I haven't been able to get out since. So, limited data as it undoubtedly is, this consists of just 7x10 min subs each for H-alpha and OIII, processed as HOO. The cone nebula (NGC 2264) is in Monoceros, and this image also includes the "Christmas tree" and "fox fur" regions as well. 

Thanks for looking, let's hope the weather picks up soon though...

Martin

12180026994_40a5b7545a_c.jpg

Very high contrasts in parts of the nebula. I haven't see it like that that before but my only NB on this was in Ha. 

Glad you got something recently because it seems that the weather has had it in for the UK of late. Good result.

Olly

Thanks Epicycle and Simon.

Epicycle, you are correct, the OIII is very weak in this area and barely adds anything to the colour palette, just a faint wisp of blue here & there. I also did a few 10 min SII subs but there was basically just a star field, so I didn't collect anymore data for that filter.

Martin

• 1 year later...

Fantastic image! Great detail! Thinking of having a go at this tomorrow night if the forecast stays as it is. Am I best using just the Oll and HA filters or maybe going wit L R HA GB?

I like L Ha-R GB on this one. http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Best-of-Les-Granges/i-NrWHrKG/0/X3/CONE%20HaLRGB%202FLsofterstars-X3.jpg

Getting a bit late in the year, though?

Olly

Cheers I'll go with that! That's a nice image of it!

It is getting a bit late, hopefully can get a couple of good hours on it before it starts getting too low if I can get setup ready before its dark and it all goes well.

Might try the Leo triplet if not, new CCD camera so itching to get some nice nebula images!

Chris

Archived