Narrowband

Best sub £100 eyepiece for Dobsonian 130P Classic?

I'd like to upgrade the supplied eyepieces to something better. The scope came with a 10 and 25. Ideally I'd like better eye relief and a brighter image. Eventually I will probably look at a go-to system and possibly a bigger dob should funds allow. I've looked at Celestron X-Cel LX and Baader Hyperion. I understand the fast F5 of the 130 causes some issues with a lot of eyepieces but wonder which is the best route to take. Any help will be appreciated.

I guess it depends on the interpretation of "best" ?

In pure optical performance terms I reckon the best sub £100 eyepieces are the Astro Hutech or Fujiyama orthoscopics and the Tele Vue plossls. At sub £50 it's probably the Baader Classic orthoscopics.

There are others that provide more field of view, eye relief etc but for optical performance I don't think any would better the above, in fact they are as good as eyepieces costing many times as much.

Archived