Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Astronomical

Best sub £100 eyepiece for Dobsonian 130P Classic?

I'd like to upgrade the supplied eyepieces to something better. The scope came with a 10 and 25. Ideally I'd like better eye relief and a brighter image. Eventually I will probably look at a go-to system and possibly a bigger dob should funds allow. I've looked at Celestron X-Cel LX and Baader Hyperion. I understand the fast F5 of the 130 causes some issues with a lot of eyepieces but wonder which is the best route to take. Any help will be appreciated.

I've found the Celestron x-cel 25mm excellent as a replacement for stock 25mm: best ep I have.

• Like 1

Having done a small amount of research over the issue, as im also looking for new/additional EP`s ive decided the Celestron x-cel is the best option available to my budget. 

• Like 1

Meant Heritage not Classic! Don't know where that came from! No idea how to edit a post to put it right though! Thanks for the replies so far.

I have the Heritage and went for the X-Cel LX's - best £59 (each!)  I have spent - they are excellent.

I guess it depends on the interpretation of "best" ?

In pure optical performance terms I reckon the best sub £100 eyepieces are the Astro Hutech or Fujiyama orthoscopics and the Tele Vue plossls. At sub £50 it's probably the Baader Classic orthoscopics.

There are others that provide more field of view, eye relief etc but for optical performance I don't think any would better the above, in fact they are as good as eyepieces costing many times as much.

If you have plans to upgrade the scope, i would not bother upgrading the EP's just yet. The 10mm and 25mm EP's supplied with the 130mm scope are fine. Wait til you upgrade your scope and see what works for you.

Some really helpful information here, thanks everyone. I'll look at all options over the next few days.