SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Greetings from a noob

Hello SGL! I've been lurking around this forum since just before Christmas, and I like to think I've learned a little bit already, just from doing so. There is so much information to be found here! Anyway, I have finally taken the plunge today and ordered my first telescope, a Celestron Nexstar 8SE. I know opinions are divided on these scopes, the mount isn't the best in the world, and astrophotography is awful with it. However, I don't have a DSLR or webcam and have no intention of buying either, so this won't be an issue.

My question is this: as well as the the scope itself, which comes with a very mediocre 25mm EP, I've ordered a rather higher quality 7mm, a 2x Barlow and a set of planetary/lunar filters. Should I buy a mains power adapter, as I will be mainly using the scope at home, or a power tank for if I should start attending meetings at my local astro club? I gather the 8AA batteries the 8SE uses last no time at all.

Whichever I go for, does anyone have links to such items for comparison purposes?

Thanks in advance for any help, and clear skies!

Paul

Welcome to SGL.

I'm new myself and not really knowing much about what you have I can only give some limited thoughts.

Personally I think I would go for a more portable power option rather than mains if the power supply has a long use life between charges.

The reason is simply that there will be times when you want to venture somewhere else, even if it is to a friends house or to find a better place on the odd occasion with dark skies, plus you don't have to worry about running power leads from the house or wherever you setup.

However if you are certain that you will only ever view from one location and wiring is not a problem then mains would be better as you could always use the mass of AA batteries to be a bit portable.

Now I'll leave it to the more knowledgeable. :smiley:

Welcome to SGL Smartbomb, although I am still too wet behind the ears to offer any meaningful advise I would suggest you look at some threads here about powertanks and alternatives. Some of the suggestions in SGL threads (iirc) are significantly cheaper than the bespoke ones and perform just as well.

Clear skies...I seem to remember this was something we once said....no longer sure what it means though :)

I have been researching power supply's recently, After reading lots of differant post hear and other sights I read that Power tanks don't  really have a long life & often break down after a year or so?, They are designed for short start burst and not continues use!,

If you want a reliable power supply then look for the lithium battery  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DEBEN-TRACER-LITHIUM-ION-BATTERY-PACK-POWER-12V-22AH-LAMPING-LAMP-CHARGER-POUCH-/320916254063?pt=UK_SportingGoods_Hunting_ShootingSports_ET&hash=item4ab8196d6f

Shop around to find better deals but these battery packs will last a life time,  :smiley: .

Hi and hope you have a good time looking above. Nice scope to buy first time. Power supply from mains with a long made up lead is good but if you decide to take the scope to an outside location (better sky view etc) then buy yourself a leisure battery . 90 amp hr  . On ebay they cost around £90 and are well worth it as the run right down before they give up and you can run other bits like lights and laptops etc.   I see you have no intention of buying a webcam or camera. I think the first time you see SATURN that will change so be ready. All you need to do is buy a cannon camera BODY as the scope is the lens. These bodies as so cheap on ebay  and showing others close to you what you have seem is a great moment believe me. Have fun and just remember that although Celestron claim instant alignment and go anywhere you will find it frustrating at times but don't give up . Learning what to do and how to over come it is half the fun . ENJOY.

Hello SGL! I've been lurking around this forum since just before Christmas, and I like to think I've learned a little bit already, just from doing so. There is so much information to be found here! Anyway, I have finally taken the plunge today and ordered my first telescope, a Celestron Nexstar 8SE. I know opinions are divided on these scopes, the mount isn't the best in the world, and astrophotography is awful with it. However, I don't have a DSLR or webcam and have no intention of buying either, so this won't be an issue.

My question is this: as well as the the scope itself, which comes with a very mediocre 25mm EP, I've ordered a rather higher quality 7mm, a 2x Barlow and a set of planetary/lunar filters. Should I buy a mains power adapter, as I will be mainly using the scope at home, or a power tank for if I should start attending meetings at my local astro club? I gather the 8AA batteries the 8SE uses last no time at all.

Whichever I go for, does anyone have links to such items for comparison purposes?

Thanks in advance for any help, and clear skies!

Paul

Hi Paul,

I have just ordered a 8SE as well, so should be getting it early this week :).  I bought a Sky-Watcher 17Ah Rechargeable Power Tank from Amazon, as work has an Amazon account and I argued that with one of these we could run some of our instruments off-site if we wanted to (like that's ever going to happen :D).  Interested to read your comment about the supplied 25mm lens not being much good.  Can anyone who owns any NexStar Scope (guess they all come with the same one?) confirm this?  I have bought a 7mm & 15mm lens to go with it, did not consider having to replace the supplied 25mm EP.

Hi Paul and welcome to SGL, if you are able to use the scope near to a mains outlet, then a power supply extension lead and a 12V mains power unit, would be the least hassle. If you want to observe away from home, then a single 17Ah SLA good quality battery and charger, should provide you with enough power for a couple of hours or more :)

Thanks for the replies guys. I've found a camping and caravanning shop just a couple of miles from where I live selling 80aH leisure batteries for £79.99 so I'm going down that route. Already been to Maplins today and got a 12v mains adapter for use at home so now I'm covered for all eventualities. Just have to wait for the scope to arrive now! Damn you Fedex...

I have a 8se and like it a lot. I think you will find that a 7mm eyepiece which gives about 285X and nearer 300X with a diagonal, a bit much for the seeing conditions most of the time. It should be great for the Moon on good nights and Mars needs all the magnification the telescope will stand. Welcome to the forum.  :smiley:

Well I finally received my 8se on Monday (no thanks to FedEx!) a little before sunset and hastily got it set up as it was fairly clear that night and I didn't want to waste the opportunity. Got the finder scope roughly aligned, obviously had a quick look at the moon, but then decided to have a look at the particularly bright star just to the left of it. An off-white disc with noticeable bands running horizontally around it. At first I assumed it was Venus due to the colour, but then I noticed the 5 perfectly aligned dots around it. It was quite an awe inspiring sight to see Jupiter for the first time! I must have spent a good hour marvelling at it. Even with the bog-standard EP the 8se comes with the detail was quite remarkable. Then of course the clouds started rolling in. And of course they haven't parted since.

Anyway I now have my 12v mains charger for use at home and a 80ah leisure battery is ordered and should arrive on Monday, but my next question is this: Dew Heaters. Are they necessary? Do I need one? If so, how much should I expect to pay? Any thoughts one way or the other will be much appreciated.

Paul

Hi and glad you have the scope an saw Jupiter. Dew shields and heaters sound necessary in very cold evenings but with the type of scope you have a dew shield will stop a lot of problems in later evening viewing. However they can be expensive and with a little thought are easy to make. I have a Celestron 9.25 and a 80mm apo scope. I went to a camping shop and brought a under sleeping bag mat for £9. There was enough material in it to make two dew shields for my scopes. Wrap it round the scope and cut it with an overlap. Then cut it to about 15in in length. Buy some velcro and using araidite glue 2 or 3 strips so that it holds its shape and you just have to slide it over the tube. When you pull it apart it can lay flat in storage etc. Mine works a treat. PS make sure you buy a dark colour mat.  Have fun .    Jay

Hi and welcome. Check Sky at Night February edition for an excellent article on dew controllers. I hope your battery option works well. I'd be very wary of such an unregulated supply for various reasons. Try and use a properly regulated observatory 12-14v supply. About £60 in UK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi there and welcome.  The 25mm eyepiece is ok and as has been said before, the 7mm will be too much for most conditions apart from the Moon.  Something like a 15mm will probably be most suitable but I always recommend the Skywatcher 7 - 21mm zoom eyepiece which at around £40 is excellent value for money.  This gives you 5 eyepieces in 1, the 7, 9, 11, 15 and 21 and will enable you to find out what is best for your scope in most conditions. 

Yes, you have the power sorted out and the next thing is the dew shield - an absolute necessity.  I have a dew heater but haven't used it in ages as I also have a dew shield.  You can make your own as stated or buy the Astrozap one for £31 from FLO.  I did the first then got the second as a birthday present.

Like you I had no intention of doing AstroPhotography but now do little else. Yes - the mount isn't the best for it but is fine for webcam imaging and if you get a wedge you can convert it to an EQ mount.  Unfortunately the wedge currently offered is expensive compared with the original which I got second hand.

As far as alignment is concerned if you are just concentrating in one area of the sky do just the one star alignment.  That can also work well for a wider area if you are really careful in doing that. Use the 25mm first to get it centered, then switch to the Barlow, repeat that, then stick in the 7mm with the Barlow and get that centered.  Don't worry too much about the focus.  Just make sure that the blob is centered. That should give you accurate alignment.

Archived