celestron cpc9.5 or celestron vx 9.5

hi i have a nexstar 6se at the moment and thinking of   upgrading to one of these scopes, but unsure which to choose,main interest is everything astro,main reason is portabitly and starting out in using a webb camera on the moon and planets .the site from which i observe from is good east and south facing,west has a few trees [not mine] and north is blocked by our house,light pollution is quite light[milky way visable summer and winter] down to the south,any opinion  will be helpful.

hi i have a nexstar 6se at the moment

,main reason is portabitly

Hi, sorry I cant answer your question, as I have not got either,

however I think you are the man I need !

To answer a portability question that I have, if I may be so bold as to volunteer you :) :) :-

When you erect your 6se how wide is the footprint of the tripod on the ground ?

And is the eyepiece holder tray bolted to the tripod with tools or is it a quick finger job to remove it ?

(http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/207682-celestron-nexstar-6se8se-dimensions/#entry2208133)

Thanks

The CPC 9.25 is a beautiful scope but do remember it's a fork mounted Sct with a long focal length and slow f-ratio. This is an ideal set up for imaging planets. If in the future you wish to image dso's then you will want to align it equatorially for which you'll need an equatorial wedge. Then you'll want to step down the f- ratio for which you'll need a good reducer.

I've not used the new VX mount - but I've heard nothing but good reports about it - and it's designed as a major upgrade to the CG5TGT Goto (which I did own). So knowing the older mount, hearing good reports about the new one, and looking at the upgrade specs, I'm quite sure it would be a very good choice with the C9.25 (which I wouldn't hesitate to buy).

The reason I say that is because you'd be able to use that combo for both planetary and dso imaging with only a reducer as an extra requirement in the future. Also - if you decided to get the focal ratio down further by purchasing a faster scope in the future - you'll not need another EQ mount cos the VX will handle it no probs.

As well as imaging - the 9.25 is a beautiful visual instrument - you'll love it. It's also worth noting the CPC's are very heavy scopes (though the carrying handles make it quite convenient to port). Check the weights and make sure you're comfy lifting it - if you're fitter and younger than me you'll be fine. But my recommendation is the C9.25 and VX mount for your stated purposes. Hth :)

"how about an 11 inch sct on aeq6!!!OR am i getting aperture fever????"

Lol - you certainly have the right idea and picking good combinations. The NEQ6 Pro is a heavy lump of metal - but there are ways of carrying it that make it quite convenient to move around - but be warned it's still heavy.

For us older chaps we do have to think about creaks, and sprains we never used to get in our earlier years. I'm just recovering from a sprained ankle caused by carrying approx 90-100kg's of dobsonian light bucket around my own back yard.

So my advice is choose what you think you'll be comfy with lifting, and make it something you can get out and set up with ease. If it's too heavy it will seem a chore and you may loose motivation sometimes. The best scope is the one you use most as the saying goes.

Otherwise though - your ota/mount choices are pretty sound. :)

Interestingly enough I had my first experience of the C9.25 a few weeks back, only having used refractors. I was surprised how light it actually was when putting it on my mount. It requires only a little more counterweight than my refractor - to say I was surprised at this was an understatement.

I also own the CPC 9.25 on the fork mount, I would not say it is a light scope but it is not over heavy.

The OTA  fits into the front seat of my car and is easily portable. All in all It takes about 5 mins to set up completely.

The fork mount is rock solid and you will see no vibrations whatsoever. All views are fantastic through this scope, I have compared it to many different scopes during meetings at our local dark site and it more than hold its own. (I have never compared it to a DOB but I hear they are the scopes for DSO)

The two accessories you will need are a dew shield and heater band ,about £50 total, as the corrector plate is prone to being a dew magnet.

There is also the option of using the "Faststar" camera if you want to use it for AP, this gadget greatly reduces the amount of exposure time required.

I also own the CPC 9.25 on the fork mount, I would not say it is a light scope but it is not over heavy.

The OTA  fits into the front seat of my car and is easily portable. All in all It takes about 5 mins to set up completely.

The fork mount is rock solid and you will see no vibrations whatsoever. All views are fantastic through this scope, I have compared it to many different scopes during meetings at our local dark site and it more than hold its own. (I have never compared it to a DOB but I hear they are the scopes for DSO)

The two accessories you will need are a dew shield and heater band ,about £50 total, as the corrector plate is prone to being a dew magnet.

There is also the option of using the "Faststar" camera if you want to use it for AP, this gadget greatly reduces the amount of exposure time required.

If you want the farstar option (for future use), then I can recommend checking out Teleskop-Express.de, as they sell both 9.25 and 11inch SCT OTA's With farstar pre-installed.

Here is the link to 9.25 OTA with NEQ6 Pro combo for example:

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p5529_Celestron-C9-GoTo-Telescope-on-N-EQ6-GoTo-Synscan-mount.html

Archived