SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Telrad v Rigel ... Advice please?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use the Rigel. It fits nicely between the focuser and finder of my Skyliner 200p and is easy to use because it stands tall. Worth mentioning that it comes with 2 bases to fit different circumference tubes, so I can swap the Rigel between the 200p and my smaller ETX80 refractor as required. It is definitely worth getting one of these as it makes target acquisition so much easier.

I use the Rigel. It fits nicely between the focuser and finder of my Skyliner 200p and is easy to use because it stands tall. Worth mentioning that it comes with 2 bases to fit different circumference tubes, so I can swap the Rigel between the 200p and my smaller ETX80 refractor as required. It is definitely worth getting one of these as it makes target acquisition so much easier.

David55........Hi, From seeing your avatar, do you wear glasses when using the telescope. I can only get a sharp image from a Telrad if I wear glasses, but I don't wear glasses for the telescope. That was my dilemma. I'm informed the Rigel works in the same manner, focuses at infinity!. I therefore decided, I could do without the Telrad, and bambuko has converted it quite well for his needs? 

Yes, the glasses are a bit of a problem. I need them to see the stars with my naked eye and to use the Rigel, but if I wear them, I can't read the star maps. In everyday life I use varifocals, but these aren't much good for astronomy because the focus changes depending on where I put my eye on the ocular and which part if my glasses I'm looking through. So I have to keep taking my glasses on and off. Maybe I should get my eyes lasered.

I still find the Rigel invaluable (I'm sure the Telrad would be similar), if I can see a star close to my target in the sky, I can lay-on the scope very quickly. It also helps to have a wide angle eyepiece, I use a 32mm Panaview, to make sure the target is in my field of view and then swap to increasingly higher magnifications until I get the view I want.

One solution for the need to wear glasses to see distance (without having to take them off to view through the telescope) would be to use only one eye to see distance - i.e. just a monocle to see distance, leaving the other eye to observe through telescope without corrective glasses.

Simple experiment would be to remove one lens from your glasses... and see how you get on with it?

BTW I am already using very similar thing: bi-focals normally divide the the lens in two with lower half set for reading and upper half for distance. I have glasses where left lens is for reading and right lense is for distance viewing - works great for me (although wouldn't be right for everyday use, where I stick to varifocals).

Bambuko

You've inspired me to try the DIY dinky Telrad.

I've already experimented with the batteries using 2 single AAA battery holders, 1 each side stuck to the inside bottom of the box - not obstructing the reticle beam. I'll get round to the cutting in the next few days when I get a chance :)

For those who asked:

Dinky Telrad mounting plate between focuser and finder mount fitted to Skywatcher 150p

IMG_7849.jpg

Telrad and RACI finder "overwhelming" the front of 150p

IMG_7851.jpg

Front view

IMG_7853.jpg

And comparing directly, on the left 150p with Telrad, on the right TAL120 with Rigel

IMG_7854.jpg

And, as seen from the working end

IMG_7860.jpg

I don't know if anyone will still see this thread as it is a bit old now, but if so I would appreciate aiming tips from Rigel users.

I sometimes struggle to see the red circles in the Rigel's aiming window. I obviously haven't lined up the OTA properly on the target but I'm spending ages moving the tube and my head while looking up the length of the telescope through the Rigel. Eventually the circles come into view from the edge of the window and then I can aim at the target ok. But getting to that stage is proving to be a pain.

I didn't have this problem aiming with the Telrad I must admit.

So is there a Rigel aiming technique or is it just a case of getting used to it and learning through practice?

Yes, like yourself, I have found Rigel more sensitive than Telrad.

I feel it is to do with smaller window etc.

My solution was to use Rigel with my head/eyes closer to it than what seems to be possible with Telrad, and of course make sure it is perfectly aligned with the scope.

Once you get round these issues, there is little between the them.

Yes, like yourself, I have found Rigel more sensitive than Telrad.

I feel it is to do with smaller window etc.

My solution was to use Rigel with my head/eyes closer to it than what seems to be possible with Telrad, and of course make sure it is perfectly aligned with the scope.

Once you get round these issues, there is little between the them.

Same for me - a recently bought secondhand scope had a Rigel, and initially I had the same issue, seeing the red rings.

Placing my eye closer to the Rigel sorted it. It's a nice neat little unit.

Regards, Ed.

That's helpful, thanks both. I must admit I have been using it as if I'm looking down the length of a rifle sight, from down the OTA up to the small window (which I have aligned with the scope). I'll try it by getting closer to the window.

When I have managed to see the circles the Rigel has worked well.

With my scope I just look through the Rigel,which is next to the focuser.This places my eyes close to the Rigel and then the sight reticle is picked up immediately-this is why I chose this location for the thing,and a RACI finder can still be used(I don't).

Very fast-from the Rigel to the eyepiece,sitting,from my swivel stool

I made sure my Rigel was attached next to the EP meaning you look at it very close being a benefit for my eyesight and can quickly flip to the EP. Concentrate on getting the red rings before anything and it's quick and easy to use, especially the variable brightness dependant on the object you are trying to find.

Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Tapatalk

I'm considering buying a telrad after some great advice in another tread. It's for my 8" dob (SW 200p) and I was wondering wether users of the telrad would recommend buying a riser and if so which one (2" or 4")/ it is it perfectly okay to use as it is?

It depends too much on a layout/size etc of your scope, to give you simple answer, although rising any of the finders usually makes it easier to use them.

Best thing is to buy your Telrad and see how it works for you (you can always add riser later if necessary...)

Best thing is to buy your Telrad and see how it works for you (you can always add riser later if necessary...)

Seems sensible advice, we are all different and what suits one might not suit another.

FWIW I used my Telrad for a long time but added a 4" riser recently and think its one of the best value accessories I have.

ecw199: I have the 200p on a dobsonian mount, but went for the Rigel rather than the Telrad mainly because it meant that I didn't need to buy a riser as the Rigel window is already high enough without. If you go for the Telrad I'd certainly suggest a riser. I've never experienced the problem of seeing the red circles that others have mentioned, but have to say that having the Rigel made all the difference to ease of observation. And I'm sure the same would be true if I'd gone for a Telrad. Whichever you go for, get it quickly and take your hobby to a new level! (Crikey, I sound like an advert!)

...went for the Rigel rather than the Telrad mainly because it meant that I didn't need to buy a riser as the Rigel window is already high enough without....

The difference is not all that great.

Distance from the base (tube wall) to centre of reflex window:

Rigel 105mm

Telrad  95mm

I think Rigel appears much taller because of it's "vertical" design.

Good choice with the Telrad. They are a great tool for surfing the night sky. I fitted mine just the other side of the finderscope. It just means i have to walk round the scope to use the Telrad, line it up and then move back to the focuser. Its still a lot quicker than using the RACI finder on its own. 

Archived