David Lukehurst Dobsonian

Today it was a pleasure to finally meet up with David so I could receive the telescope he has been making for me. 

After many emails and phone conversations, we could both finally put a face to a voice (although saying that he does feature on his website). 

We both agreed to meet at a middle point to limit the driving for us both.  David generously and insists that he only have the flat cost of petrol for the effort, whats more he drives an economical car too :wink: !  

He took the time and effort to set up the scope in the pub car park so I felt fine with setting up alone at a later date.  He went over the finer details of the instrument with me.  He supplied a plastic clip box with spare parts required for assembly, all the paperwork from the optic manufacturer & his personal documentation of manufacture and cost breakdown and settlement.  The telescope was prepared where necessary to be safely transportable and has now arrived back looking great. 

The construction & finish is of very high quality and David should be very proud of his craftsmanship.  I feel that the scopes David makes are very good value for money and the care and attention that goes into them must be on his behalf a pride and joy.  

Amazingly after this terrible month of bad weather on arrival home I was presented with a sunny clear blue sky behind a waxing gibbous moon and the sun firmly behind me !  So no prizes for guessing my first target.  I never thought I would be doing a daytime first-light but who could resist? 

The meticulous attention to detail in the engineering was apparent when I assembled the instrument in the garden the first time.  I took aim with the 10x50 finder and using first the 25mm & then the 15mm televue plossl to give x64 & x106 got an instant detailed view of the lunar surface.  All optics set up to perfection (Thanks again David).  The contrast even in daylight was exceptional and I spent the next 2 hours working my way along the terminator across the numerous maria, craters and pock marks of the lunar surface.  I now have a small taste of what David had made me.  Wow !

It moves on the mount smoothly, but with enough friction so when released it stops solid, fixing the view exactly where you need it, even in the slightly windy conditions the tube assembly stayed put fixing the field of view tight.  The whole scope takes 6-8 min to setup and about the same to dismantle & all neatly folds away in a compact tidy unit. In this disassembled state both the mirrors are covered & safe away from impacts & the settling dust.

To say I am pleased is an understatement and I recommend anyone thinking of buying a scope to consider a Lukehurst Dobsonian.

I will hope to continue this thread with observation reports and general comments as my experience with the instrument increases.  For now I will leave some eye candy pictures of this lovely instrument for anyone interested in looking.

Cheers David

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats David!! Exciting day for you then!! :)

So what size etc is it? Pics we need pics!  :grin:

Indeed mike !  Pictures linked to gallery. 

To avoid confusion it should read Cheers David from James at the end of my post !  I am sure David likes handing over his products !  I am chuffed with it :grin:

To avoid confusion it should read Cheers David from James at the end of my post !  I am sure David likes handing over his products !  I am chuffed with it :grin:

haha sorry confusion with the name James, its been a long day! :)

I know that custom scopes cost a bit but when you think of all the time, effort and thought that maker has put into it they really are worth every penny and I can completely understand the likes of David, Sumerian and Moonshane not wanting to part with it when its completed.

Hope you get clear skies soon James.

nice scope, and congrats on first light that quick, be interesting how you get on with defraction spikkes with that curved spider

Many congratulations on you new scope, I wish we had someone like him here.

I am interested in knowing what type of diffaction spikes you get with the curved support?

Alan

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

I will be interested to see how the diffraction spikes appear with this style of spider too.  I will report on it hopefully very soon by wishing everyone clear skies :angel: 

An update to those interested. 

All at x 106 magnification using a15mm Televue Plossl.

Target: Jupiter (20 min before sunset & into darkness).  My eye was stuck to the eyepiece with my mouth stuck for words.  The planet resolved to a disc that I could naively describe as a very carefully painted marble, it was suspended prominently against the steadily darkening clear blue sky.  The surface detail was mesmerizing, and the apparent number of definable colors. Consciously I noted shades of cream, orange, brown, grey and mild looking purples.  I forced myself to count the number of defined dark horizontal 'belts'.  'Belts' because I am new to observing in this detail I may have counted some zones.  I made a clear count of 6 dark 'belts'.  I also thought that the GRS was not on the observable side of the planet at the time of viewing.  I also noted one of the bands in one place had formed an outcrop / overspill of darker gas, it looked to have budded out into the creamy colored neighboring zone (I remain undecided if it were red spot junior).  As the sky darkened the view only got better.  

Orion nebula:  The nebula appeared as a eerily dark green structure.  Once again i could naively describe it to appear as dense folds of dusty cobwebs against the slightly lighter background sky.  The trapezium was apparent within a visibly diffuse and more transparent locality.  I was impressed with the structural integrity the scope showed of this object and will revisit it again and again.  

Diffraction spikes:  The curved vane appears to diffuse/soften any prominent spike.  There is nothing dominant in one area from what I recall.  I noticed no contrast issues when viewing Jupiter and on this target do no recall noticing the orientation of the spider with respect to the view of the planet. 

On viewing Betelgeuce it appeared as a nice defined point, the diffraction surrounded the pin point without really interfering with it.   With no technical language here, the area / zone of diffraction does not bleed its influence into, or out of the stars defined point.  I will take more time observing this on different bright stars and will write more on it, as I am not experienced enough to compare with other styles of secondary mirror supports.  However we all know that one persons preference would be different to another.  I am pretty sure like many things you adjust to what you have and therefore cease to notice it.       

yes we are all interested!! congrats but we need pics... its the law!! :grin:

By pics do you mean free-hand sketches?  By the law do you mean compulsory ?  :smiley: 

I still haven't seen colour even with 455mm :embarassed:

Strange how we may look at the same thing but our eyes perceive variation.  When I say green I mean a very very dark green, a dark slime green / algae kind of green.  This was in no doubt influenced by so many factors including primarily the hue of the light polluted sky I was looking at orion through.....The influencing factors go on and on.........  One factor you have definitely covered 100% is aperture estwing, we may rule out that one, but only that !  Do you view from light polluted skies or not ?

Nice report. Not sure why but I have had some nice views of Jupiter, over the years, while its still light. Its always nice to be able to see some colour in Orion, I did not manage this until getting the 300 mm. :smiley:    

I notice a short thread just popped up on here 'jupiter in white light'.  It seems that many have noticed viewing in daytime has advantages.   I agree Laurie61 any hint of colour, false or not is great to see & very welcome in a hobby where hunting the elusive & visually subtle can dominate the night.

Nice report  :smiley:

The curved secondary supports on my 12" dob, though a different configuration to yours, provide star views very similar to the ones you describe.

I see some hints of pale lime green in M42 with my 12" dob but not that darker green hue.

Yes, very nice scope :-). I'm intrigued by the secondary support in that it only seems to go through 90 degrees. My understanding was that 180 degrees is needed to fully cancel diffraction? Anyway, sounds like the views are great so that's what counts!

As for seeing green in M42, I've never seen it before first light with my 12" the other day. I wonder whether it may be easier with a decent aperture under light polluted skies? If your eyes aren't fully dark adapted, are the cones more likely to be picking up colour still? Anyway, that may be a load of rubbish but I certainly saw green quite clearly and the skies weren't great.

Stu

Under dark skies,with my 10" dob, M42 is a very distinct green glow with a brighter green marbled core to my eyes.The colour is readily seen from about a mag 20.5 sky or darker and good transparency.Quite mesmerizing.

I'd better get out to some decent skies then!! :-)

Archived