DIY Dewsheild

Purplehayze104

Hi All

with the weather being as it is, has given me loads of tinker time, one of my recent lil projects was a dewshield for my 150p, all brought about by going out the other week an ending up finishing early as everything got very dewy. i read up a few posts an saw the good people of SGLs efforts.

decided to get a lonsdale exercise mat cortesy of direct sports & a couple of 8" embroidery hoops after seeing someones post who used the same but for larger scope, well anyways chopped my mat down so that it was 1.5x the length of the aperture so roughly 9" long. still not quite finished need to seal the join somehow and then shes finished.

heres a couple of shots below

well clear skies everyone an keep ya chins up, this weather cant last forever :D

regards

john

post-31083-0-61370200-1391725269_thumb.j

post-31083-0-39337600-1391725306_thumb.j

hi michael

thanks, i tried various stuff to make the dewsheild but found that the exercise mat had it all, was a fairly stiff foam but flexible enuff to roll up & trim to size, need to do a couple more for my finderscope & my guiding finder then ill be sorted

im pretty pleased with my setup fairly portable 6" has given me much better views that my Evostar 90 which i sold to my aunt

wot sort of set-up do you have ?

hi wookie

am looking to loose the 2 middle rings once ive sealed the join where the mats meet, at the moment they are just keeping the join flat in the middle part will glue soon, but i think your idea is good :D will keep that in mind when ive finished as have been having thoughts about getting a new tube ring for that purpose.

clear skies

john

This is before before i got my 9x50 right angled finder and the HEQ5 legs

looking good there too do you use any motor drives at all ? i noticed the embroidary hoops that your using so you can rotate without scope slipping nice touch, think that is going to be my next mod to work on, i upgraded to the 9x50 straight throu finder as was intending to use for guiding, but not had the weather to use it properly so decided to start using it till needed, also interested in the tripod upgrade to the EQ5 steel legs but a little bit more saving for them puppies.

Another good material is craft foam. It sells under a number of names (Funky Foam, and at least one other name that escapes me at the moment :embarassed: ) but they're all thin (2-3 mm), lightweight, reasonably stiff and come in a variety of colors (including black). I'm not sure of the largest sheet size, but I used one to make a glare shield for my 8" Hardin dob.

Good job. Looks very neat. Used exactly the same mat for my dewshield for my 250px dob. Was rushing to get it done to get out to view so left the width as it was and just trimmed length to fit the circumference of scope and then used trusty gaffa tape to secure it. Holds its shape pretty well as it is but will try some velcro I think just to tidy it up a bit.post-34897-139263992384_thumb.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

No not got any motors i got the HEQ5 tripod for £40 off a mate in my local Astronomical Society, im looking at upgrading to 10-1 focuser as well i have seen an upgrade for £52.

thats on my list is the 10:1 lacera focuser upgrade, you done well with the tripod still have the aluminium legs on mine so still get a fair bit of flex hoping to sort that out one way or tother

Dreadz that looks a massive dewsheild but mind you your almost twice to diameter of mine :D looks neat thou

thats on my list is the 10:1 lacera focuser upgrade, you done well with the tripod still have the aluminium legs on mine so still get a fair bit of flex hoping to sort that out one way or tother

Dreadz that looks a massive dewsheild but mind you your almost twice to diameter of mine :D looks neat thou

You can fill the the legs with play sand keep tapping them so it compacts more then put a weight on the eyepiece tray that's what i did and it really helped.

Archived