SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

televue plossl in a heritage.

rory

would televue plossls be over kill for a heritage 130p ?

in a nut shell ,I'm wanting to get some e/p's that I can carry forward with me once I move up to a 10" dob.

ive  considered perhaps tv plossl's for  f/l up to 15mm and something like the E/S 82 or 68 for the shorter f/l

although i don't wear glasses and may be able to use tv plossls down to the 8mm.

i previously albeit briefly owned  24 and 16mm maxvision e/ps , but im not a big fan of the flat eye shield ,i find it uncomfortable . so they are not an option really.

thoughts,comments appreciated.

thanks.

My pentax XL provides stunning views,  a marked improvement from a standard plossl such as supplied by SW, as does the 20mm maxvision and my BSTs.  Just as in the larger Dob they also improve views in the Heritage. The only  thing you need to be concerned with is weight, the pentax is on the side of heavy for the plastic focuser, which induces a bit of tilt and affects collimation more than I'd ideally like, but not that it would break it at all.  The focuser is a bit iffy anyway since it is quite sloppy in any case, a bit of tape helps.

The TV plossl is very light so no worries there. Balance is very solid, adjustable on the dovetail so no issue there either. I'd say as a recommendation an eyepiece over 200 - 300 grams is arguably not the best idea in this scope, though the pentax weighs almost 400g !

My pentax XL provides stunning views,  a marked improvement from a standard plossl such as supplied by SW, as does the 20mm maxvision and my BSTs.  Just as in the larger Dob they also improve views in the Heritage. The only  thing you need to be concerned with is weight, the pentax is on the side of heavy for the plastic focuser, which induces a bit of tilt and affects collimation more than I'd ideally like, but not that it would break it at all.  The focuser is a bit iffy anyway since it is quite sloppy in any case, a bit of tape helps.

The TV plossl is very light so no worries there. Balance is very solid, adjustable on the dovetail so no issue there either. I'd say as a recommendation an eyepiece over 200 - 300 grams is arguably not the best idea in this scope, though the pentax weighs almost 400g !

+1

I personally went for a weight limit of 170g, so TV plossls and Vixen LVs / NLVs / SLVs (as they are going to be called, third generation!) work well :). Orthos are a good match too.

Reference tv plossl's , I don't suppose for one moment there's a pick of the bunch ?

I'm tempted to get a new one while there's a deal on .

I'm pretty much assuming that as it's televue were talking about, they are all the same quality .

The 8mm and 11mm have quite tight eye relief (as per the plossl design) and the stiff rubber eye cup can make this slightly awkward. Optically they all seem consistently good. 

My favourite is probably the 32mm but it's also the most expensive. 

The 8mm and 11mm have quite tight eye relief (as per the plossl design) and the stiff rubber eye cup can make this slightly awkward. Optically they all seem consistently good.

My favourite is probably the 32mm but it's also the most expensive.

Yeah. , I remember reading somewhere a while ago that the eyecup can be a little hard .

Thank you for your reply john.

I have 11mm, 15mm, 20mm, 25mm and 32mm and they are all excellent. up to 15mm I tend to fold the eyecup down as the er ir quite tight. I have an 8mm Radian or I would also get the 8mm. I agree with other comments about suitability. an eyepiece is at least half of the optical system as far as I am concerned.

Archived