400p Skywatcher Flextube

Hi, I'm thinking of upgrading my 250px Skywatcher Telescope to a 400p Skywatcher Flextube.

I have been reading reviews about how large a scope it is. Where it will be situated will be no problem to make a trolley for the Telescope to permanently reside on. As it will be in a conservatory and wheeled out on to a large decking area and locked in position.

What I would like to know, is that I believe that the 400p comes with an extension tube for the eye pieces and that some eye pieces will not work with the 400p due to focal length issues is the case ? Or will my eye pieces work as normal. I have plossol eye pieces ranging from 6mm to 32mm.

Any help will be appreciated.

Many Thanks

If it is built the same as other flextubes (which i think it is) it should work with all eyepieces. I know of a guy here in finland who does astrophotography with a 400p flextube and if that is possible, I would assume all eyepieces will focus. Also if it is like my 300p, you can extend the tubes only part way to get more focusrange. (there is a second set of holes) 

Thanks for that.....

I'm also looking at the slightly smaller 350p flextube. This would be the same set up idea, permantly reside on a trolley to be wheeled out of the conservatory.

I have read a few reports on here that there have been issues with fitting the Primary mirror - ie, the Thumb (locking) screws are too short. ( by 10mm ) Is this the case or is it possibly that that the Primary mirror hasn't been fitted correctly on assembly - ie not fully engaged on the collamating bolt springs leaving an excessive gap therefore the locking screws cannot reach. Thus causing focusing issues with eye pieces even with the supplied focusing extension tube.

For skywatcher to produce a Telescope that is unusable out of the box suggests a serious flaw in the design.

Does anyone own a 350p / 400p and have any of these issues ?

Comments and assistance would be appreciated.

Many Thanks

I had no problem with the mirror with my 400p goto, overall I think it is a very good scope for the price. It is a big beast, but if you can find a way to ease moving it, that's great!

I didn't reply re: the focuser question as I have no idea, we put an upgraded focuser on it right away that we had from a previous dob. With my focuser, all EP's fit fine, some are on the edge of needing an extension tube, but I can just raise them slightly before tightening the compression ring.

Archived