SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Mounting Finders

Hi all,

I'm having great difficulty getting used to aligning my scope and star hopping with the supplied 6 x 30 finder scope, and when I was out the other evening, my friend brought his scope, which had a fairly basic red-dot finder attached, which I had a look through and found that it was tonnes easier to use! I guess my main problem is that everything is counter-intuitive when moving the scope around whilst looking through the finder - which means I spend more time finding the object than gazing at it!

So I'm thinking of getting a red-dot finder to attach to the scope (Baader 40mm Super Sky Surfer V), which would make it a lot easier for me to find objects in the sky and align my scope.

My question is this:  Can I have both the finder scope and the red-dot finder attached at the same time, as I would like to learn how to use the finder scope more efficiently in time, but I feel the red-dot finder would speed up the initial targeting?

Thanks,

Mark

This is pretty much what most of us with big scopes do; an optical finder and a zero-mag finder. You use the RDF, Telrad or what have you to get the scope pointed at the right area of the sky and then the optical finder to find the target, especially if you're talking faint fuzzies.

I've got the Baader Sky Surfer V and it's a brilliant piece of kit. Very solid and sturdy. However, I mainly use it on my 102mm ED without an optical finder.

Starwave 102ED

This is pretty much what most of us with big scopes do; an optical finder and a zero-mag finder. You use the RDF, Telrad or what have you to get the scope pointed at the right area of the sky and then the optical finder to find the target, especially if you're talking faint fuzzies.

I've got the Baader Sky Surfer V and it's a brilliant piece of kit. Very solid and sturdy. However, I mainly use it on my 102mm ED without an optical finder.

Brilliant, thanks guys!

Have a look at a Rigel Quikfinder. Lightweight, fastens on with sticky pads and only £34 at FLO. I have them on two scopes for initial search as well as finderscope.

Allan

Looks good! (and a lot cheaper than my original option, which is great on a postgrad budget!)

I've just ordered the Rigel. Covered all this during the last couple of days on the post below.

A RDF is very specific on how you line up and the supplied ones on my scope do take some getting used to which is why people often go for something different. So the Rigel or Telrad may be a better option.

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/207382-rdf-replacement/

I used a Telrad for more than a year and was very good. However, I always found it to be on the heavy side for what it is. Now on my 300P I've a Rigel Quickfinder, It's much lighter and very nice. But Optically speaking I think the Telrad is a bit better. Having said that, I can live happily with either.

Also consider this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Omegon-Deluxe-Red-Finder-Base/dp/B00E5UYQ88

And whatever you do, stay away from these or their likes :)  http://www.amazon.co.uk/TS-Optics-Starpointer-release-telescope/dp/B005VMFUZM/ref=pd_sim_sbs_ce_5  I had one that came with my scope and I immediately fell in love with it ... NOT

Things aren't too dark here so I find ligning up a couple of screw heads on the tube close enough to get what I want in the finder view.

A finder will always allow you find fainter objects and the red dot types are just 'pointers'. I need a bigger finder...

I especially like the AstroSystems-modified QuikFinder (full page here). It uses AA cells instead of a button cell, for vastly longer life (plus they're cheaper). The only trade off is a slight increase in weight. However, I'm not sure about shipping from Colorado, USA to <wherever> ... ?

Red dot finders are pretty decent if you can find a good one, but to my eyes the red dot is far too bright on most and many have either a reflective or dark coating on the glass. Together, both tend to wash out too much detail.

Red dot finders are pretty decent if you can find a good one, but to my eyes the red dot is far too bright on most and many have either a reflective or dark coating on the glass. Together, both tend to wash out too much detail.

The Baader Sky Surfer V is the best I have come across. It allows you a very dim red dot and the glass is clear.

Richard

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Archived