Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

When is this weather going to end??

Skooby

Why is it always ok when I have work the next day. :(

its always the same when your working that's when you see the best skies!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scotland has reverted to the stereo typical grey skies day & nigh
II have 3 new purchases / upgrades all waiting on first light 6 days with no viewing and the next 6 forecast is just as bad if not worse :(

Working all bank Holiday weekend, finish my shift at 8 pm tonight. Hasn't stopped raining since. :( Thinking if I want to see stars and Planets, I'm going to have to build my own Planetarium.

Come on weather sort yourself out, your making a lot of nice people very unhappy. ;)

In London (SW) we've had lovely days Friday Evening-Sat-Sun-Mon with mostly cloudy/Sunshine only to reveal an evening of high thin cloud that (up until Monday Evening when it was completely covered) you could make out the Mars or a very bright star but nothing else. Or certainly nothing to get the scope out for a part from @ 3am on the Sat morning, when being already up changing a nappy. I decided to have a look at a sky that I hadn't seen yet with Hercules. I hadn't planned it so once I got my bearings I wanted to see if I could detect M13 and after a little time I did. Wow, even in my LP skies it was a lovely sight and on staring at it for several minutes it got better and better. I then moved to see if there was anything else close by but not having planned that particular view (Mine is usually much earlier) I was a bit random and soon the sun was coming up and my sky was too light to make out even the bright stars.

I then spent the next day planning that portion of sky for Double Stars (I was advised of several great resources showing the best 200) and also M92 but then the conditions I describe above rolled in so didn't take the scope out alas.

I'll use this Topic to vent my dismay at the current run of zero scope time! The weekend in SQW London looks rubbish. I've a bunch of Double stars I want to look at, mapped and tagged and can't. I was even planning a Dark sky outing one early morning but can't do that. Vent over.

17 Years past and the first Winter (2013-2014)  that there has been no real bad weather  in this part of Scotland, and were just having April showers and Sunshine at present. deep Winter weather is about 2 Months behind Christmas here, but not this Year. Its crazy, and balmy at the same time? Plenty of time to read and learn though!

Can't believe it. Beautiful blue skies all afternoon then, come 7pm, total grey cloud cover. I thought I might at least get an hour in after 10pm. Maybe I can believe it :-(

well, my sob story of bad weather will get me through to the finals of Britain's got talent !!

My missus and daughter shelled out for a telescope for me as a surprise, a skywatcher 150p.... Good as the intentions was, no mount, and well, you know what its like,paying for christmas, then household repairs and assorted other stuff kept swallowing my mount savings fund.

I did manage one day to attach it to a sturdy camera tripod I have and with a lot of foul language and messing about, after an hour or two I did manage to get it focussed on Jupiter,,,, for about 30 seconds.....

5 months later, I got myself a EQ5 deluxe, and dual axis motors,,,, which arrived today.... 

how long before I get first light with it?  competition time,,, person with the date it gets first light to the nearest week gets a bag on bon bons...

I can personally assure you of many clear nights over the next 10 weeks or so.

Why ??

I have packed my gear up until early August as we dont really have any proper darkness now for about 10 weeks.

If you are further South - enjoy!!!

I've just realised I've not seen the moon's first quarter yet this year. Everytime the moon is around I'm clouded out.

I've had a few views of Jupiter and Mars, but that's it. I can't remember a year this bad.

Peter... My bit of Wessex (on the eastern edge I guess) was well and truly cloud covered last night, as well as blowing a gale :-(

You mean Western edge I think - I am well East of you in Hants.

Peter

Tomorrow is forecast on Scope Nights as 'good' here. Long time since I've seen that. Hope the forecast doesn't change - as it so often does, and never for the better!

Champing at the bit and hungry for eyepiece time. Fingers crossed ... For everyone.

I'll whisper this so as not to tempt fate but there are blue skies over my bit of Wiltshire ... at the moment at least. Would be great to have a bit of scope time tonight!

Archived