Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep3_banner.thumb.jpg.5533fb830ae914798f4dbbdd2c8a5853.jpg

Sandancer10

CCD OSC taking mono images?

Hi everyone.

I have an Atik Titan CCD OSC and noticed that it has a mono option. My question is by using this option does that make all the pixels activate i.e. greyscale or will it still be an RGB type image using only 2 green - 1 blue - 1 red matrix?

Also, does de-bayering an image give you a better result i.e. by being able to work on RGB separately. Again, would this process give you a better finished image with more detail?

color sensor is always color. Shooting as "mono" won't give you a mono sensor. Non debayered raw frames allow you to pick debayering algorithm, which can be better for given picture than some default auto debayering.

• Like 1

I have tried using an OSC with narrowband.  It works remarkably well, but be aware that your resolution will suffer terribly.

I was using a QHY8 with an h-a filter.  Since the OSC camera is RGGB,  only the "R" pixel gets anything when behind the H-a filter.  So only one of four pixels (1/2 the resolution). It works fine, yes, but the reduction in resolution is a pretty steep price to pay.

I ended up selling the OSC and getting a mono camera.  I suspect that most OSC users are better served with DSLR... but that's just me.

I was using a QHY8 with an h-a filter.  Since the OSC camera is RGGB,  only the "R" pixel gets anything when behind the H-a filter.  So only one of four pixels (1/2 the resolution). It works fine, yes, but the reduction in resolution is a pretty steep price to pay.

Thanks for your advice. I have just ordered a Baader Ha and Olll filter and expecting delivery within a couple of days. I did ask though if they could be used in a Filter Wheel later on and apparently it's not a problem.  

At some point I intend buying a bigger sensor mono CCD, but for now I am still on this steep CCD learning curve and I think the mono option is a whole new steeper learning curve.  :angry9:

..... but for now I am still on this steep CCD learning curve and I think the mono option is a whole new steeper learning curve.  :angry9:

Interesting that people have this perception - Having used a DSLR modded and unmodded, a OSC CCD and also a mono CCD - I think all in all that the mono is easier. Certainly the data is FAR easier to process than the OSC. I found that rather akin to black magic!! It's not difficult to capture the data and neither is it difficult to merge the 3 resulting RGB stacks of data into one image to then start the processing.

• Like 1

Interesting that people have this perception - Having used a DSLR modded and unmodded, a OSC CCD and also a mono CCD - I think all in all that the mono is easier. Certainly the data is FAR easier to process than the OSC. I found that rather akin to black magic!! It's not difficult to capture the data and neither is it difficult to merge the 3 resulting RGB stacks of data into one image to then start the processing.

Thanks for your posting Sara. Yes, I have been put off getting the Mono instead of OSC as I really thought by the time I learn how to use a filter wheel and processing skills needed I would start off with the 'easiest' option. I have my eye on Atik 314L or better, but again funds dictate - as always. However, later in the year I will get a Mono CCD with Automatic Filter Wheel.  :rolleyes: