Narrowband

Skywatcher Telescope Travel Case??

Afternoon everyone

Hope you're having a good day  :smiley:

I am determined to go out more with my telescope this year and would like to buy a "proper" traveling case.

Any ideas on which site is best to buy one from? I don't want to spend a lot of money but I want good protection. 

This would be for my telescope, mount and tripod.

Thanks duck!

Q1. What 'scope are you using?

Q2. Do you intend to use it overseas too? - may sound silly, but I work at LHR, and considering airlines are getting restrictive as what constitutes as cabin luggage and hold luggage. If you do, don't be tempted to stick "FRAGILE" stickers on the case. I see many items left on the apron, ramp & service roads with "FRAGILE" where the have fallen from a baggage train on it way to an aircraft.

I have a TeleVue Ranger (sadly no longer made) and eyepieces in an camera/photo aluminium case. That was my cabin allowance during August 1999 when I flew from LGW to VAR and packed the tripod and cameras in my suitcase which went in the hold.

I picked up a bag from Amazon that was intended for awnings it's ideal for my SW200p and with some additional padding would take the mount as well if it wasn't for the weight.

Don't suppose you have a link to the bag you purchased. I'm about to purchase a SW200p and some form of carrying bad would be ideal

i picked up a good sturdy flight case from these chaps:

http://www.cases-and...ight-cases.html

£46 including VAT. to me it was ideal. very sturdy and came with a solid foam block. spent a morning tracing my OT and mount, and carved out with a craft knife. does the job.

When they restock, it looks like I may finally have a case for the C9.25! Thanks - handy link. You could almost fit the tripod into that case too, no? It's hard to have too many flight cases - unboxed kit means you don't have enough. Mind you, when driving with kit, I tend to make sure that counterweights get their own seatbelt.

Don't know how to copy link but they are listed as "Delux Awning Bag" and made by a company called "Chasely" available on Amazon from Staffordshire Leisure Shop

Thanks for the advice Mike

It looks to me like this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Holdall-Caravan-Motorhome-Storage-DELIVERY/dp/B00BAHIDDI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1391775588&sr=8-2&keywords=awnings+bag would fit the OTA of the Skywatcher 200p

• 10 months later...

Thanks for the advice Mike

It looks to me like this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Holdall-Caravan-Motorhome-Storage-DELIVERY/dp/B00BAHIDDI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1391775588&sr=8-2&keywords=awnings+bag would fit the OTA of the Skywatcher 200p

Did you end up getting this bag?  How is the fit?  I am after a bag for my SW 200P as well and ideally want one I could fit the polystyrene ands out of the box for support, would they fit in this bag as well?

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if this would be of interest as a keen carp fisher, I have one of these a padded tube holdall, it fits mine with oceans of space.

http://www.fishtec.co.uk/online.cfm/carp-luggage-and-bags/tf-gear-hardcore-kit-bag/40/yes/62271

would be interested in your comments

Bumping an old thread here, but it was a little unresolved.  I too am after a case/padded holdall for my 200P tube.  The one in this link show only 109cm overall length, but I measure the 200p as 113cm end to end, cap on.  The width is fine (looks to be around 5cm spare on widest point across to limit of retracted focuser).

Was this for a 200P, daiwelly, or can anyone else confirm it fits? Maybe the dimensions are out on the webpage and it would actually fit.

Any info or alternatives for the 200P tube would be very welcome.  [The one in the link from ecw199 looks too short to accommodate the polystyrene protectors supplied in the 200P packaging, though it would take the scope, unpadded.]

• 4 weeks later...

Bumping an old thread here, but it was a little unresolved.  I too am after a case/padded holdall for my 200P tube.  The one in this link show only 109cm overall length, but I measure the 200p as 113cm end to end, cap on.  The width is fine (looks to be around 5cm spare on widest point across to limit of retracted focuser).

Was this for a 200P, daiwelly, or can anyone else confirm it fits? Maybe the dimensions are out on the webpage and it would actually fit.

Any info or alternatives for the 200P tube would be very welcome.  [The one in the link from ecw199 looks too short to accommodate the polystyrene protectors supplied in the 200P packaging, though it would take the scope, unpadded.]

I ended up buying the caravan awning bag.  Its plenty big enough.  I'm now looking at buying a strip of memory foam to make a base for the bag.  Its certainly big enough to fit the tube and a blanket/duvet for padding.

Only problem is Amazon now thinks I'm interested in caravaning  :tongue:

• 7 months later...

Good Morning Guys,

Just saw this post, (well forums) as I was looking on google for a protective case for my new telescope I shall be shortly acquiring.

The Model is a "Sky Watcher Explorer 130P SynScan AZ GOTO 130mm.

BMC, would you recommend a particular case similar to the one you got that would fit my scope in? Don't mind sitting for a couple of hours cutting foam if it means keeping everything in tip-top condition!

Thanks for your help in advance everyone. Happy to be here and can hopefully pick of a few tips as I'm relatively new to all of this.

Rob

These Orion travel bags come in various dimensions, check them for your telescope and there should be a similar one for the bag. I use this particular one to pack my Explorer 150 + tripod + mount. Shouldn't be too heavy with your gear and would fit it all with room to spare. The case is split into two compartments, one of them has velcro straps

http://www.amazon.com/Orion-15164-47x11x14-Inches-Telescope/dp/B0000XMTTW

Perhaps a little late to the discussion but here is my case, I got one of these cases for my SW Explorer 150PDS, also large enough for collimating tools :)

150pds case2

here's the inside after adding supporting foam cut outs.

150pds case

I got both the Case and Foam from flightcasewarehouse.co.uk
and

I also got some standard cushion foam for the tools part and lid, cheap from ebay. 

Perhaps a little late to the discussion but here is my case, I got one of these cases for my SW Explorer 150PDS, also large enough for collimating tools :)

here's the inside after adding supporting foam cut outs.

I got both the Case and Foam from flightcasewarehouse.co.uk
and

I also got some standard cushion foam for the tools part and lid, cheap from ebay. 

This looks very nice, organized and sturdy indeed!

Good Morning Guys,

Just saw this post, (well forums) as I was looking on google for a protective case for my new telescope I shall be shortly acquiring.

The Model is a "Sky Watcher Explorer 130P SynScan AZ GOTO 130mm.

BMC, would you recommend a particular case similar to the one you got that would fit my scope in? Don't mind sitting for a couple of hours cutting foam if it means keeping everything in tip-top condition!

Thanks for your help in advance everyone. Happy to be here and can hopefully pick of a few tips as I'm relatively new to all of this.

Rob

I bought a Kookaburra Cricket Bag and lined it with an old duvet, plenty of room for more protection if needed :)

Archived