Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What have I done.......

I've been missing my dob for a long time now  :embarassed:

I had a 12" which I used lots, then a 16 which was frankly too much of a pain to move so I sold it  :embarassed:

I have effectively been dobless for a while and missing it.

But today I've pulled the trigger and ordered one of these, despite no reviews or experience:

http://www.explorescientific.co.uk/en/Telescope-optics/Explore-Scientific-Ultra-Light-Dobsonian-12.html

No idea what the quality is going to be like! But for the price and portability, worth a punt.

No idea when it will get here but paid by Paypal so safe.

When it does arrive, rest assured, lots of pictures and unboxing photos.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks fantastic. ES seem to have thought through lots of little differences/refinements compared with the usual makes. The proof will be in the viewing but I'd be pretty excited if that were coming my way in the mail!

ES seem to have thought through lots of little differences/refinements compared with the usual makes. 

I agree entirely.

In particular I like (and these largely informed my purchase):

• Fans on the side of the mirror, rather than behind. This should reduce boundary layers and improve seeing stability.
  • Size of overall box / pack down size.
  • The large altitude wheels.
  • No horrible chipboard to blow in the wet.
  • Collimation system looks interesting. As far as I can determine the rear cell is adjusted using a 'tommy bar' type arrangement from the front.

I agree entirely.

In particular I like (and these largely informed my purchase):

• Fans on the side of the mirror, rather than behind. This should reduce boundary layers and improve seeing stability.
  • Size of overall box / pack down size.
  • The large altitude wheels.
  • No horrible chipboard to blow in the wet.
  • Collimation system looks interesting. As far as I can determine the rear cell is adjusted using a 'tommy bar' type arrangement from the front.

This is what I thought too: collimation of the primary from the front sounds like an awesome idea!

All the best with the new "beast". Had a read of their description of the dob and loved the quote.....

We have taken the motto "held together by gravity and driven by yoghurt power"

Sounds like my kinda job !!!  :laugh2:

Les

I've had my eye on this, alas I do not have the funds...

I will be content with following this thread should you decide to share with us your findings. Thank you for being the gear guinea pig.  :D

To be serious now, your comments will be eagerly awaited by many, including those outside of the SGL membership. :)

I have a hunch it's going to be a beaut newt.

I've had my eye on this, alas I do not have the funds...

I will be content with following this thread should you decide to share with us your findings. Thank you for being the gear guinea pig. :D

To be serious now, your comments will be eagerly awaited by many, including those outside of the SGL membership. :)

I have a hunch it's going to be a beaut newt.

If it all arrives in time I'll bring it to SGL9.

Nice one Tom.

I was in a similar position when I bought my Sumerian, no reviews etc but sometimes you just have to take a leap of faith and just go for it!

Lots of people looking forward to your review.....dont forget the pics, lots of pics!! :)

Yesterday it said Limited Stock for a day and now it's back to 3-5 days.

With the info they gave you, their site is just bogus! As if you placed an order today, then with their "Ready to ship in 3-5 working days." indicator it would mean Feb 9-11th and not 21st!

Quite a huge difference. Not good.

Grumpy response sent to them, to this effect!

Archived