Az-Alt Goto Mount Question

There was something I noticed last time I tried to image the moon and forgot all about asking about it here so thought I would ask now whilst the weather stops me doing anything else!

Anyway, I was basically using a webcam to image the moon by sweeping across it in steps with a plan to then stack each individual element and stitch them together.

However, when I went to process the images I noticed that I was missing sections of the Moon and some appeared of my avis did not stack correctly. After a bit of checking it appeared like it was only affecting sections of the moon when I was trying to do a Down movement of the scope.

I therefore decided to have a little testing and noticed that when I  moved the scope down it appeared as if the scope kept moving slightly throughout most of a 1 minute avi. So of course that meant I was slowly moving down a bit extra each time I did a downward step and was therefore missing sections. The movement also meant I couldn't stack the downward step elements either.

It only appears to happen when I am moving down (although I am a bit suspicious of the leftward steps as well). Is this something related to the backlash of the motors which I have seen mentioned? I haven't had any other obvious issues beyond trying to image the moon but I am curious if this is something that I just have to live with or if there is something "wrong" that needs correcting.

I have the same 'scope and mount. This happens because you're tracking your target, and the mount interprets your handset commands as fine-tuning the tracking. So if you tell it to go down, it'll incorporate that instruction and keep doing it, with the mount thinking it's doing what you want. So, one way to get round the problem is to be not tracking the moon when you video it. This in turn can bring additional problems, of course. A better way, which involves a little practice but is not difficult to get the hang of, is : once you've moved down to where you want, give a short burst of up to tell the mount to stop moving down. This principle applies to all directions, of course.

Okay, so it is just something I need to learn to deal with. Thats fine, I just wanted to make sure as it shouldn't be something to difficult to rememeber compared with other aspects of imaging :-)

Archived