Celestron lenses

Eyepieces usually come in two sizes 1.25" or 2" this is the size of the barrel that fits into your focuser, you can use whichever make/ brand you wish with your scope for visual use. However, there are some quirks with focussing when it comes to Astro Photography.

Other than that the only limiting factor is the cash you can afford to spend. So if you want to get some good advice maybe you could give other members of the forum an indication of your budget :smiley:

Should be able to use any 1.25" eyepiece on it.

If you specifically want Celestron then the X-Cels are the obvious ones.

The "common" other options often mentioned are Vixen NPL (plossl), BST Starguiders, Meades, Revelations, TV's and ES's. All their 1.25" format eyepieces will be fine in the 200P.

+1 for the Celestron  X-CEL LX range, they have good eye relief and a decent FOV.

As Ronin suggested there are others to choose from.

I did buy the Celestron kit when I first started, I wouldn't go as far to say it was a waste of money but with hindsight you can get better for your money by choosing  3 or 4 individual eyepieces.

In your scope (1000mm focal length) a 9mm eyepiece will give you 111 x magnification (1000 divided by 9 = 111 x mag) and so on

As a guide you can use the following:-

• The moon can take very high magnification and on a good night around 290 x magnification is achievable but around 230 x is more realistic
  • Jupiter is suited to around 170 x magnification, maybe a tad more when the seeing allows. Mars and Saturn around 230 - 260 x magnification
  • Deep sky objects vary between 75 - 100 x magnification
  • The Orion Nebula is excellent at 75 x in my scope

You can also look in other members signatures to see if they have the same scope as you and then see what eyepieces they have :smiley:

+1 for the Celestron  X-CEL LX range, they have good eye relief and a decent FOV.

As Ronin suggested there are others to choose from.

I did buy the Celestron kit when I first started, I wouldn't go as far to say it was a waste of money but with hindsight you can get better for your money by choosing  3 or 4 individual eyepieces.

In your scope (1000mm focal length) a 9mm eyepiece will give you 111 x magnification (1000 divided by 9 = 111 x mag) and so on

As a guide you can use the following:-

• The moon can take very high magnification and on a good night around 290 x magnification is achievable but around 230 x is more realistic
  • Jupiter is suited to around 170 x magnification, maybe a tad more when the seeing allows. Mars and Saturn around 230 - 260 x magnification
  • Deep sky objects vary between 75 - 100 x magnification
  • The Orion Nebula is excellent at 75 x in my scope

You can also look in other members signatures to see if they have the same scope as you and then see what eyepieces they have :smiley:

+1 for the X-Cel LX's (see my signature) and +1 for the 9mm. They all work well in my 200p and CPC1100. I am sure more experienced obervers would find lots of niggles but for a good solid set of mid-range EP's I don't think you can go wrong with these.

Archived