Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skyliner or revelation?

Was all set to order the skyliner 250px but have just been offered what seems to me to be an exceptional deal on the revelation 10 inch dob. Problem is dont know which to go for now!!

Revelation does have dual speed focuser and primary cooler fan and from limited googling seems people do think the bearings are better on the revelation but which is the best overall?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had the GSO (Revelation) 250mm - and now have the Sky-watcher Skyliner Flextube 300p. I found the GSO a pretty decent piece of equipment and had many wonderful nights with it :)

The reason I went for a Skywatcher after few months was the aperture fever. I just went up 2" more and while the Revelation 12" is cheaper than the SW Flextube 300P, I decided to pay a bit extra for portability. See, a 12" solid tube is a bit of hassle to move around. Not necessarily the weight, but mostly the inability to have a proper grip over it. With the 10", I gripped the side and bottom and walked comfortably with it into the garden. Pay attention to door frames and all that.

Optically speaking, both appeared the same. Apart from that, the Revelation wins considering it's got an adjustable base axis and dual speed focuser (very decent actually). If I had to choose again, I'll always pick the Revelation/GSO.

I have got a 12" revelation Dob and cant complain, The only thing I would say is that you need to upgrade the primary mirror springs. With the original springs I found it need collimation everytime   i set up, but when I fitted new springs from Bobs Knobs I havent had any problems.

emadmoussa ... Without wanting to barge into the thread I,m looking to move up from an SW 200 Dob to a 300 SW flex tube or a Revelation 300 Dob. I assume the Revelation, with its solid tube, would be quite bulky. But it us £300 cheaper and budget is a consideration as well as transportability.

So I wondered if you had any thoughts on the extent to which the flex tube is less unwieldy and also if there are any other benefits to that model?

Also I wondered if, with all the opening and closing, it actually keeps collimation. Plus, I guess it also needs an OTA sleeve, which is an extra expense.

I'm very tempted by the flex tube but it is so much more than the Revelation.

Again, apologies for hijacking this thread but the subject seemed closely linked.

Julian

I asked the same question a few weeks back regarding revelation / skywatcher.

General gist I got back was overall build and extras goes to revelation , but mirror quality , skywatcher might pip it. As there used to be question marks over revelations mirror coatings . Now weather that is still an issue , I don't know.

I asked the same question a few weeks back regarding revelation / skywatcher.

General gist I got back was overall build and extras goes to revelation , but mirror quality , skywatcher might pip it. As there used to be question marks over revelations mirror coatings . Now weather that is still an issue , I don't know.

The mirror coating debate is a blast from the past ...or this is at least what I got from the guys at Teleskop Service.

The Revelation is made by GSO and uses the same optics and mirror cells as the Meade Lightbridges. I've owned the Revelation 8" and a Lightbridge 12" and several Skywatcher newtonians and dobsonians. My feeling is similar to rory's - the Skywatcher optics seemed better quality ie: better figured and coated although, as emad says, the overcoating issue with the Revelations has probably been addressed now. The "1/12" wave promotional thing that the Revelations use needs a little caution though as it refers to RMS rather than the more useful Peak Wave (PV) measure. 1/12 th wave RMS equates to just about 1/4 wave PV. There will be variations in optical quality in both ranges I reckon though.

The mirror coating debate is a blast from the past ...or this is at least what I got from the guys at Teleskop Service.

That's a fair comment . Like I say , I was going by info read on a previous thread.

Personally if I was going to buy a 8" or 10" today I'd go revelation ....... Or skywatcher ;-)

And I'd go Skywatcher :smiley:

See , now that's why nothing is straight forward in purchasing anything astro related !

I would read that and change my mind again , as I know you really know your stuff . Lol

emadmoussa ... Without wanting to barge into the thread I,m looking to move up from an SW 200 Dob to a 300 SW flex tube or a Revelation 300 Dob. I assume the Revelation, with its solid tube, would be quite bulky. But it us £300 cheaper and budget is a consideration as well as transportability.So I wondered if you had any thoughts on the extent to which the flex tube is less unwieldy and also if there are any other benefits to that model?Also I wondered if, with all the opening and closing, it actually keeps collimation. Plus, I guess it also needs an OTA sleeve, which is an extra expense.I'm very tempted by the flex tube but it is so much more than the Revelation.Again, apologies for hijacking this thread but the subject seemed closely linked.Julian

Since I had the 10" GSO and was very happy with its performance, the Revelation 12" was first on my list when I considered upgrading. Then after a bit of research and calculations I thought for the sake easy easy set up and transportability, the Flextube was a better option. I understand it is more expensive than the revelation, let alone the rubbish focuser it comes with, but for me it was worth the investment. If I have an obsy or permanent set up of some sort, I would've gone for a Revelation solid tube or bigger aperture.

Like I mentioned eatlier, in terms of accessories especially the focuser the Revelation wins. But I can imagine using less frequently than my SW Flextube simply because of the set up ease or otherwise.

The Flextube seems to hold collimation pretty well actually. I always thought that extending and collapsing the scope meant collimating again. I dont think it takes me more time to do some minor tweaks than it did with the GSO. I just set it up and double check the collimation. I tend to ne OCD ansl about it, but you can always go through few sessions without having to touch the collimation knobs.

I found the Skywatcher collimation screws easier to grip and tweak.

If you have a streetlight nearby or an irresponsible neighbours who light trespass then a light shroud will be a good option. It also protects from dew. I made my own light shroud and so far it works perfectly well.

It would be very close for me. I prefer the mechanics of the GSO and the dual speed focuser on the deluxe is a good bonus, but I prefer the mirror in the SW dobs I've had.

My 10 inch GSO was a touch disappointing optically until I started using a coma corrector (a Paracorr 2 in my case, which I mainly got for my F4.3 16 inch dob). The CC has really tidied up the view, more than I would have expected for an F5 scope, so I am bit puzzled and wonder if perhaps the collimation dot is off centre and the Paracorr 2 has increased the tolerance.  :confused:  Whatever the reason, I'm happy enough with its optics now.

I would probably pick the GSO over the SW as the dual speed is very handy for me (my other half and I always have to adjust the focus a tiny bit when swapping over at the eyepiece). But I would be super happy with a SW too, and would upgrade the focuser to a dual speed if going that route.

It would be very close for me. I prefer the mechanics of the GSO and the dual speed focuser on the deluxe is a good bonus, but I prefer the mirror in the SW dobs I've had.

My 10 inch GSO was a touch disappointing optically until I started using a coma corrector (a Paracorr 2 in my case, which I mainly got for my F4.3 16 inch dob). The CC has really tidied up the view, more than I would have expected for an F5 scope, so I am bit puzzled and wonder if perhaps the collimation dot is off centre and the Paracorr 2 has increased the tolerance.  :confused:  Whatever the reason, I'm happy enough with its optics now.

I would probably pick the GSO over the SW as the dual speed is very handy for me (my other half and I always have to adjust the focus a tiny bit when swapping over at the eyepiece). But I would be super happy with a SW too, and would upgrade the focuser to a dual speed if going that route.

This is what I was confused about the other day when we discussed a similar issue. My guess your mirror was some how off center by a tiny fraction. I never needed a C C with mine.

Theprimary mirror knobs ard easier to grip and softer to turn around. I guess they suit my fingers. The GSO ones felt tighter andharsher on my fingers.

As for the secondary, I already replaced the hex keys with 'grippable' screws that I no longer need to use an Alan key to adjust the mirror. They make life a lot easier.

Theprimary mirror knobs ard easier to grip and softer to turn around. I guess they suit my fingers. The GSO ones felt tighter andharsher on my fingers.

As for the secondary, I already replaced the hex keys with 'grippable' screws that I no longer need to use an Alan key to adjust the mirror. They make life a lot easier.

so on the 300 , the primary collimation screws are thumb screws as standard then , not keys and screwdriver wot sits ?

Luke I have had two 16" f/4.5 mirrors, I checked the centre spot on both, the first was about 5mm off and the second mirror was about 3mm off centre. I think its worth checking if you have any doubts.

As for Skywatcher vs Revelation? I think its a tough call between the two when it comes to optics, my 8" SW was ok but my 12" SW was very good, my current 16" GSO (Revelation) mirror is 1/6Pv and 92% strehl so thats above what they advertise!

Paul Abel uses a 8" SW to make observations like this. http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/204584-jupiter-nearly-half-a-rotation/ not bad eh? :)

So that's clear then, Skywatcher.................or Revelation!!!!!

Am guessing it would be cheaper to upgrade the focuser on the SW than it would be to change the Rev's mirror (although am guessing that would be slight overkill!) if as I progress it becomes an issue.

EP's will inevitably be upgraded in time so there's little to choose from there.

Primary mirror springs on Rev need to be changed according to some and am not massively keen on the idea of adjusting the secondary with a screwdriver (guaranteed I'd drop it straight onto the primary!)

I'm thinking I may just stick with the SW and depending on how my bank balance looks on Wednesday morn may stretch to the flextube because the more I look around my house the more I realise storage is a real issue! How many toys do 3 kids really need?????!!!!! :)

But then there's the Revelation............or the Meade....................Orion.........................SW..........!!!!!@@@@@

I need a drink!!! :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Archived