Sunspots AR1967 - Alien Footy!

Luke

I can almost hear my other half Sarah sigh and apologise for me: rotated 90 degrees clockwise, these sunspots look to me like E.T. playing footy! :shocked::grin:

Taken with an ED120 and Baader Herschel wedge, stacking about 450 frames from 1700 with a Grasshopper 3 webcam. It's been great to see so many images posted here over the last few days :laugh::cool:

12286786633_ffd3d77921_c.jpg

12286717393_a13206df52_c.jpg

---
AR1967, Feb 2, 2014
Equinox120, Grasshopper 3 (ICX687), Baader Herschel Wedge, Solar Continuum filter

Thanks all for the comments, most kind! :)

Here's a wider shot, with AR's 1967 and 1968, taken at prime focus (the closeup above was taken with a 2.5x Powermate). I loved seeing the two groups at the same time through the eyepiece - what a sight! :laugh: The sunspots also took magnification well, though the wind was not helping in terms of a steady view! I'm relieved that these stacked. Phew!

12290677855_61eb3fd59c_c.jpg

12290951454_6526e43e57_c.jpg

Jarrod, Italy? I was about to say that you are as bad as me, but on second thoughts, Italy versus an alien playing footy. Perhaps I need to lie down for a bit. :grin:

Robin, I thought it best not to mention the sheep this time, there is only so much Sarah can take  :grin:  I have been advised against cloud watching, I can't think why. :confused:

Alexandra, I forgot to add that I used a 2.5x Powermate for the closeup. My scope is 900mm, so the focal length was about 2250mm, I think. I noticed it came out a similar size to your image? More importantly, glad you saw the alien :D

Stu, great that you can see E.T. as well. I am not alone! I'm not sure Sarah wants to believe, though :rolleyes::grin:

If you turn this one 90 deg clockwise it looks like ET kicking a football with Snoopy following on behind.  The sheep seems to have gone off somewhere, perhaps it will return in a future picture?

Very nice Luke, love the granulation on the close ups, a level of detail I just don't get (yet).

Robin

This is a close-up of AR11968, the "little" one of the two big 'uns, taken with a 2.5x Powermate on Sunday as well. I'm struggling to find a particular shape to this one, I can't even find Dolly.  I'll keep looking. :grin: Hope we get a bit of clear today...

12296341715_deccf9e37b_c.jpg

12296650714_ac13d61440_c.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Robin! :smiley:

I'm a big fan of Sky at Night, so I was super happy that they used the image :laugh:

I think Sarah was super happy that Chris Lintott said it was a chain of sunspots rather than my description of an alien playing footy :embarrassed::grin:

ya know when everyone can see the image someone suggested but you just can't, well that's me that is! i was annoyed for a moment but then I concentrated on the images for what they where and was very impressed. well done Luke those are very good images, you should be very proud of them. Forget that E.T. shennanigans :grin:

Ian

Archived