Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQ slow motion controls

Fatrick

Hi, just wondering what way you guys work your slow motion controls. I'm new to this telescope business, but in my brief time operating my Eq3-2 mount I find that the slow motion controls don't always, or ever, sit very handy to my viewing position. I notice that you can attach the controls to both sides of each of the axis mounts. So do you move the controls about side to side during viewing to make life more comfortable? Do you buy 2 extra controls and always have the 4 mounted? Or do you just make do with awkward positions they get into?

I think the fact I use a 900mm frac doesn't help my cause, even tho I do have long arms. I'm sure a nice short newt would be handier.

The longer one does flex to the side a bit so shouldn't be too difficult to reach (until you let go of it of course). The shorter one is slightly stiffer but still bends - I replaced my short one with a "push on knob" (or you can get them with a collar screw) for easier access to the RA axis. But really there's not a lot in it.

You can replace the shorter one with a long one but you'd have to buy two together. For the minor inconvenience I don't really think it's much of an issue (I had a Newtonian on mine) but I can see what you mean when you're at one end of a long 'ish frac - so two long ones might be a little better for you. :)

You are obviously suggesting that I move the slo-mo controls from one side to the other so as they are pointing more of less where I'm observing from. From what little observing I've done so far this would be a bit of a faff. At the moment its very much observe between the clouds so I'm changing targets quite frequently to dodge the overhead conditions. I guess if you were observing one target for at least 30 mins at a time then changing the controls would make sense, but I'm not sure how much that would happen in N. Ireland at the moment :) Obviously, that would be the goal.

I think I'll have a look around and try to acquire an additional set of 2 slo-mo controls and have all 4 on the mount.

Thanks for the advice.

Hi,

I now have an EQ5 mount with push-on knobs. This was one of the best things about the new set-up. I know exactly where you are coming from with the control problem...my arms aren't like a gibbon's either and I needed them for my EQ2 mount with control cables. It didn't matter where I put them, there were always times that I just couldn't reach. I'm trying to imagine the set-up that you have but i think the push-on knobs must work better. If you can reach around the mount from your viewing position, you should be able to turn them.

Let us know what you decide!

P.S.

The 'short Newtonian' doesn't work either. The control cables still end up in odd positions. I think that the design of telescope that you want should come first and worry about the controls afterwards. Maybe some of those 'helping hand' tools for people who can't bend down might help? Only kidding!

I like the sound of your telescope, by the way. A 90mm sounds big enough and the F10 means you can use longer focal length eyepieces to get the best out of it.

Happy stargazing!

I see FLO are doing a pair of flexible drives for the EQ3-2 for £18, I think I'll try that solution. I guess the best solution would be to motorize the mount, but at £91 for a pair of motors and controls it seems excessive in order to prevent getting into awkward positions. Maybe in 40 years when I can't bend the way I can now :D Also, I like the feeling of manual controls. Makes the telescope more a part of you I think. Maybe I'm just old fashioned :)

Actually - with the EQ3-2 - you should be able to do a reasonable polar alignment (doesn't have to be 100% accurate) near enough - and most of the time you'll only need to use the RA axis control. You will need the odd tweak in Dec every 5 mins or so if the object drifts - but a reasonably close PA will virtually do away with that.

Then pop a slo mo control on both sides of the RA and you'll be set for all positions. But no I wouldn't recommend changing cables over in the dark - you'll drop or lose screws and find yourself fumbling for more time than observing lol. :)

Archived