SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Xbox live cam photography

I'm using an xbox cam at prime focus with my explorer 130M but can't seem to get any detail on jupiter - it is either under or over exposed and i'm never sure if it is in focus. I'm using sharpcap where i have setings over exposure, gain, white balance, gamma, etc. 

Does anyone have experience with this camera, and/or have settings they recommend or any advice?

thanks

Joe 

Don't know the x box cam, but if the option for histogram view is available use it and adjust gain brightness shutter speed etc. til you get about 75% of the histogram covered... As for focus, its just a case of keep trying. Sometimes I take several runs and tweak the focus slightly each run... Hopefully one of them will turn out OK

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/204707-xbox-livecam/?hl=%2Bxbox+%2Bcam#entry2174754

Thats a thread with some shots I took using the xbox cam and 130m. Not had much oppurtunity to get out recently and attempt any more, and I never keep a record of settings if I'm not happy with the results..

At the moment I'm just taking it as trial and error, but as a general rule for this camera:

Make sure nothing is set to auto.

Set the capture file type to YUY2.

After that, adjust gain to get the image roughly as you want it, then try stepping down the exposure a little and adjust the gain again. Once you get an exposure and gain level/balance you are happy with start experimenting with the other settings.

There are a few threads related to this camera, just try a forum search for xbox, or try the "embarrasing jupiters webcam clinic" thread:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/76963-embarrassing-jupiters-webcam-clinic/

There are a few areas where various settings are discussed.

Archived