Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Imaging the sun from a bunker (OK Garage) 1/2/14

DrRobin

Hi,

It's been a week for me, but this morning started bright and sunny, so I was set up soon after 10am, in time for the sun to clear the grime of the local metropolis.  A haze or high cloud soon became evident and then the wind started to pick up to scope toppling speed, so I had to retreat as far in to the garage as I could and still see the sun.

Shot 12 panes for a mosaic, a couple of close ups and then a white light full disc, but only just got the full disc Ha processed, due to house maintenance (stopping the rain coming through the front window).  My favourite stitching program Autostitch has been updated for 64 bit systems, there is less things to fiddle with, but it seems to stitch just as well, although neither the new version or the old version will produce a round sun out of today's data, it is egg shaped, that or it has piled on a few pounds around the bottom end during the week.

The big sunspot is a hive of activity, but don't miss the nice looping prom/filament on the eastern limb.

Robin

Lunt 60 DS, 1.5x barlow, DMK41, 12 panes, 25% of 600 frames per pane, AS!2, Autostitch, Paint.net.

Monochrome, as the god of solar imagers intended us to see it.

Sun-1-2-14-pano-b.jpg

False colour (shunned by the pros, but still very nice)

Sun-1-2-14-pano-c.jpg

Inverted false colour (It's the new black [sweetie])

Sun-1-2-14-pano-ic.jpg

The Ha close ups.  Taken with a Cemax 2x barlow, which always seems to give me 'Newton Rings'.

Robin

AR1944 (There is a lot going on in there)

AS_p25_Multi_Drizzle15_Sun-1-2-14-ha1944

False Colour

Inverted false colour

The nice prom on the eastern limb

AS_p25_Multi_Drizzle15_Sun-1-2-14-ha-pro

Inverted false colour (the Newton rings make it look like it has been a knitted jumper

AS_p25_Multi_Drizzle15_Sun-1-2-14-ha-pro

Nice! I was out this morning too. Did some Ha, then a white light full disc with the 200PDS and DSLR. I tried some close ups of the Sun spots, but the wind had picked up to the point where I couldn't keep the image in frame for a video, so gave up after that.

Well done Robin, fabulous captures. I was out this morning, the seeing was terrible. I had just managed to get focus on the spots and was about capture some frames when the cloud then rain came in. At least I managed some viewing, well 10 mins. That is all the viewing I have had day or night in the last month!!

Ian

Thanks everyone. It certainly has been windy up here. I had to try and seal the front window after these shots, nearly got blown off the small set of steps on more than one occasion and I couldn't keep the sealant gun steady. To my amazement it looks clear tomorrow as well, back to setting up in the garage again I think.

Robin

Archived