Eyepiece Set

BigJock2005

Hello all!

After a long and truly painful decision making process, I settled on some EPs this week, pulled out the credit card, and absolutely battered it. It's been fun deciding, but a huge number of variables at play, so I though I would share some here in case anyone finds them useful.

Current setup

Been working with the stock 10mm, 25mm and 2x Barlow that came with my Sky Watcher 200P. I've not had too many good long nights out, but I have really enjoyed what I've been able to see, and got some way up the learning curve about alignment, RA, Dec, viewing conditions, DSOs and all that. Enjoyed it enough to make me commit to getting a good bit further in.

Budget and set

I'm lucky enough to have a decent budget, so I set upon £350 with the plan to get three fixed EPs and if possible a medium quality zoom. I say medium quality, because the consensus is that the zooms can't deliver the quality of the fixed lenses, which makes sense given that the lenses do have to move in a zoom. But the pull of convenience for finding objects and getting to the best focal length made me decide for one. I figure 3 EPs and a zoom will do me for a year allowing a good range of planetary and DSO viewing. So, going for 3 x fixed EP plus 1 x zoom.

Focal Lenghts

Again trawling this forum and the interweb in general, I came to the conclusion that a 5mm would be too challenging for me; probably few ocassions to really use it, plus my lack of experience would render it OTT for my setup. A 9mm is too close to what I have, which is not quite powerful enough - so there's EP #1 agreed at 7mm. For ocassions when the 7mm is just too much, but I still want a good mag, then let's go up a bit and agree EP #2 at 12mm. I can live with the stock LER 25mm so I don't need another one of them, so I figured to split in the middle. So, EP#3 at 18mm. Finally, I would like the zoom to cover this whole range, and if possible have a bit more at the long end which might be better than my stock 25mm, so let's say Zoom at 7-24. So the set will be 7mm + 12mm + 18mm + 7-24 zoom.

Selecting the EPs

Here was my selection criteria:

1. Quality/Price - My main rule in buying anything is the cheapest is always a mistake. You just pay the real price later. Only buy the cheapest if you have to. You can't compromise quality/price by going cheapest, because that's not a compromise! On saying that, price does not guarantee quality. So, I decided the best quality I could accomodate for my budget, accepting that a set of Pentaxes or Baaders was not on the menu.

2. Eye relief - I am a speccy in my 40s so comfort is up there. An LER EP was a must.

3. FOV - Since I'm more inclined to planetary for the moment, decent FOV necessary, but no need for a widescreen.

4. Physical construction - I prefer larger EPs for easy handing in the dark and cold, and a rubber grip would be a benefit unless detrimental to the EP in some other way

5. Barrel size - I want to build a collection of filters; so want to stay on one size. With no serious advantage on the 2" over the 1.25" but a significant price impact, I decided to stay on 1.25" for this first set.

Makes/Brands

This was the tough part, trawling the web and the forums, searching re-searching and asking questions. After tons of that, I settled on four possibilities:

1. Williams Optics - SPL or SWAN

2. Vixen NPL and NLV

3. Celestron X-Cel XL

4. Sky Watcher

5. Meade 5000 HDseries

All of these pieces could fit within my budget, so it came down to assessing each of them on their merits.

1. Williams Optics: attracted by generous 20mm ER and FOV of , very good reviews, and a middle-road price, I was disappointed to find I couldn't get the sizes I wanted without going up to the UWAN. But I think these would be good EPs.

2. Vixen: again generous 20mm ER, but a narrower FOV at 45. They also looked quite small physically, the although otherwise I am sure these too are good EPs. The NLVs are much more expensive, but I wasn't impressed enough with the reviews, so this combined with the FOV scored them off.

3. These EPs get univerally good reviews, I didn't find a bad one (I'm sure someone will) and seem excellent value at around £65 retail. ER claimed at only 16mm but several reviewers vouch for their ease of use with glasses. Good FOV at 60 degrees, and a good chunky construction with rubber grips.

4. Sky Watcher: I was really intruiged by the huge SWAs with good ER at more than 20mm. They are truly massive, and the only problem with these pieces is the lack of available reviews, as they have not been out very long. There have been some comments about scope balancing, but at £80-90 these were definate possibilities.

5. Meade 5000: these EPs are generally well received, claim a 60 degree FOV but less ER at a claimed 15-17mm. They were not available in the sizes I had decided on at 6.5 although that's pretty much 7mm I guess.

All-in-all I will go with a set of Celestron X-Cel LXs because they tick more boxes. Decent ER at 16mm with recommendations from spec-wearers, good mid-range price at £64 (FLO) and a wide range of strongly positive reviews (including here). Available in the sizes I want. Decision made. I'll wait on the Zoom decision and report back on that one.

I'll review them once they arrive with the courier tomorrow!

Jock

Fantastic... its just the sort of thread i was looking for as i have just purchased a skyliner 200p and looking at Jupiter last night i decided that i need a better ep than the stock 10mm . 

Glad it was useful! I'm goiing to try and get the scope out now, after the kids are in bed. The box arrived this afternoon, so I'll get them out and post a proper review once I've had a chance to try them. I can see Jupiter is out, but its windy and I just need the clouds to stay away!

Jock

Well, in typical fashion I wandered out last night about 9pm... Jupiter shining nicely. Tripod out. Levelled. Alignmened. Balance wieghts fitted. Tube fitted. Scope balanced. Clouds blow over. Rain on.

Reverse said procedure and head back indoors with a mood on....

Review waits another day...

The Celestron X-Cel LX's are very nice indeed. I'm more than happy with them. IMHO good performance for the price. However, I've never looked through a premium EP, so I can't really compare the views.

Great post BigJock,

I have a very similar set up to yourself. After a lot of advice from SGL's I decided on the Celestron X Cel's.

I have only had them out once since I got them and I don't have a lot of experience to be able to give a good review of them but I did feel like there was a worthwhile difference between my stock EP's. It was nice to have a bit more choice in what size EP to be trying out.

The Celestrons certainly feel great quality and I like the twist up eye cups. I would buy them again, I might get the 12mm myself further down the road just to fill a gap.

I was lucky that the first night after they arrived it was a clear sky but it's rained non stop since. I hope you manage to get yours out soon, you'll be twitching the curtains every half hour for a weather check just now

Archived