Remote Controlled (Video) Astronomy

Macavity

Hi Chris

Interesting post - I had noticed it, but perhaps some of the other VA members might have missed it.

I have had some success with USB 2.0 10m extension cables and my Lodestar camera - unfortunately my mount is playing up and the USB remote connection keeps locking up.

However I have extended the hand set cable with a 10m CAT 5 cable which allows me to control the mount from inside - also allows me to SYNC to the current object using the hand set which does not work over the remote connection for some reason with iOptron mounts.

Perversely the USB Video dongIe use with my SDC 435 will not work - I guess it's trying to send raw video continuously, where as the Lodestar can only operate at about  5 frames per second and works in RAW mode so less data.

Easily solved with a long video cable - however this all becomes a pain to set up and put away, especially as the cables aren't that flexible.

A single USB cable to control the mount and the camera or even a WiFi link to a RPi at the scope would be perfect.

Clear Skies

Paul

hi guys..ive went more for the portable set up now..with a hint of remote control...my mount/camera/ect will be powered via a 12v heavy duty lead acid battery...mount control is via eqtooth and eqmod on cdc..camera will be by 75 ohm coaxial cable, was hoping to record to a cctv dvr at the scope and routed via a router to my laptop..but not playing fair just now...im using a flip mirror for focus set up via a 6.5mm lens...tried wireless video transmitter but it packed in after five mins of use,so think cable is easier to fault find at end of the day..davy

• 1 month later...

I have an alternative hobby which employs cameras with video feeds to a DVR, so I recommend using a run of Coax cable.  You can buy BNC to Coax adapters for the camera end and Coax to RCA adapters for the video-capture USB adapter.  I have had no issues with Coax running hundreds of feet.  And, you can buy an electrical cord roller very cheap to make setup and takedown easier.

--Rick in NWAr

Thanks Paul for your post - I'm thinking of doing remote via the Lodestar to my lounge but pretty clueless as to how to do it! Was even considering abandoning the obsy for a smaller 20cm SCT on pier on patio 12 ft from lounge but will see - do love the 30cm LX200 in obsy but 100ft from house :-)

Anyone done remote via power line wifi ? My obsy power line on same circuit as laptop indoors !

A few more random musings (general sermonising? lol) - Of hopefully some help / interest!  :)

In my understanding EQMod (Skywatcher etc.) mount control is basically "RS232" at 9600bps, so you don't need too much sophistication. You do need the *right* interface / cables though! <G> Since both "ends" of my mount control were already via USB, and my RigelSys focusser control also uses a USB dongle, I decided to "go with USB" and installed a Startech battle-hardened powered hub at the obsy end as a first step. Of course this worked fine in the observatory...

BUT, for an initial USB cable run of 30m (into the hub) my personal hurdle was to finally *twig* that most of the advertised "CATn usb extenders" (even £50+ ones!) don't really work over such distances? lol. This born out by eventual R/W testing a USB data drive plugged straight into the hub. With one "50m" USB extender, the link falls over (errors, disconnects) on a timescale of hours? minutes? seconds? I was just buying increasing frustration! :angry5:

FOR ME, the story has a happy ending - With the £80 Icron Rover 1850. The USB 1.1 data rates (0.9 MBytes / sec measured!) more than adequate for my mount & focusser control. The big advantage of Video Astronomy is (mostly) we only need standard coax for camera signals! Aside: the above data rate illustrates why (even 1MB) USB cameras would not be viable? Unless you are content with ONE frame / second! Of course there are full Icron USB 2.0 extenders at £250, but again... ;)

Aside: For the "lounge" setup, I have (rather basic, upgradable!) home-brew, 2.5 GHz Dual Celeron, XP box, with a 20" 16:9 main screen. To preview ALL video cams (Watec, finder, observatory) I have a 4-way (rotary!) BNC switch box to a 10" 4:3 "Lilliput" screen. I use a "Genie" (CPC) 4-way Video Amp / splitter to provide clean signals to the digitiser dongle, the main TV etc. I also have a couple of 2-way splitters at the obsy end (to reduce cable connect / disconnects). A cheap 3.5" TFT screen for testing, aligning scope and video finder etc. etc. 

[teasing] To those who may observe that I could (should!) just use a *Laptop* in the obsy (mount), and communicate via "TeamVewer" or Win RCP, I say OK FINE!! Heheh. If you can *afford* a dedicated (15+ inch?, dual core?) Laptop and are then happy to leave it outside? Also my modest 10" Samsung Notebook although quite capable of running CdC / EQMod just could not cope with added TeamViewer on top. :o

Summary: With a viable USB 1.1 link, Camera Control (A few 30m Cat5 and coax cables)

and my "lounge" Desktop running things, I'm pretty much happy bunny moggy for now!  :)

In Progress: As often mentioned, there is the "challenge" of initialising the scope position "remotely". And precisely here I have found a REAL USE for TeamViewer! Basically, I fire up all software on the lounge PC, stroll outside with trusty Netbook (and mini TFT)... I *then* use TeamViewer to control the lounge PC (EQMod buttons) for the scope positioning. TeamViewer will scale a 20" screen onto a 10" screen and buttons are (just about!) usable. HAPPILY it has a facility to display a single PC window of the Netbook screen. Not completely anticipated, I admit, but... :p

P.S. The *hardest* (skill-wise!) was setting up remote camera control. The Watec 120N+ is a "simple beast" - No OSD, just a control box on a 2m cable. The cable is (anecdotally!) "just DC", but the cable is also 16-Way with (unique?) DIN-style connectors. OK, pre-made 10m extensions available at £250, so 30m = £750! I decided to split the cable (scary!) and re-connect the ends via hand-crimped DB25 connectors. I also made up a couple of DB25 to RJ45 (Two CATn cables!) adapter boxes. Let's just say, I am VERY thankful this part was (hopefully) a once per lifetime task?  :D

Archived