Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss.thumb.jpg.5b348d6a5e7f27bdcb79e9356b7fc03b.jpg

Stargazer 2013

Orion Nebula I am sure

I know there are quite a few posts about this but hey I think I found it :)

I didn't see any colours but I located Orons belt and looked for the second star , the middle one and saw like a grey mist.All the other stars next to it was clear so I must have seen it..I know its easy for most to see but seeing it for the first time was a great feeling..

edit:forgot to say I used a 130p heritage with a 25mm eyepiece used with a x2 barlow

Edited by Stargazer 2013

Sorry to tell you this, but the Orion Nebula - well, the bright bit - isn't in the belt, but below that, in the sword:

post-28380-0-39302900-1391209286.png

You probably won't see colour - but it's no faint mist, but rather a big cloud with plenty of curving shape.

EDIT: Unless you mean you were looking for the middle star of the Sword, which would be right on...

Edited by AndyWB
  • Like 1

yes I was looking at the sword,not the bright 3 stars ..It wasn't that clear to be honest but I did have a fare few drinks of my home made wine but was quite sober :)

I need to get the belt and the sword in right order lol

• Like 2

:) Well you had to celebrate! It really is something; I like summer time and all the nebulae in Sagittarius, but the Orion Nebula is the knock-out show. Did you spot the Trapezium?

Is that wht it was? I did see a few very bright stars in the cloud mist if that what I was seeing?

post-32896-0-37391300-1391210904_thumb.j

Edited by Stargazer 2013

yes I was looking at the sword,not the bright 3 stars ..It wasn't that clear to be honest but I did have a fare few drinks of my home made wine but was quite sober :)

I need to get the belt and the sword in right order lol

Your lucky to be able to view anything tonight with the weather. It's a lovely sight though.

andrew

Witnessing stars being born. I know that for myself this was an incredible feeling, stood in my back garden seeing something like that.

Sounds like you got it, mate. Well done, it's one of the nicest things you can view through a scope.

• Like 1

Sure, then what you saw was definitely M42 (the Orion Nebula). On a steady night, look out for the faint E and F stars within the Trapezium. They're a little difficult to spot at first, but once you know where they are in relation the the main four stars, you'll spot them regularly.

Edited by Joves

Probably my favorite DSO. I have my best views of the trapezium with a 9mm and a 2x barlow at 144x. 

I have the Genesis out cooling with the 4.7mm Ethos in ready to view it as the sun goes down.

Haven't tried any Ethos in the Genesis yet. Hoping for some nice views! :)

M42 sure is a stunning sight. Nicely done! You'll probably visit the nebula many times.

Edited by TractionMan