Revelation EPs

I've just started out with my first scope (Celestron 130 Newtonian 650mm focal length) which came with a couple of EP's 10mm and 20mm. Now presumably these won't be up to much (still been too cloudy to actally use the scope for the first time) so I was looking at getting some additional EP's to cover other magnifications.  Just looked on Telescope House website and noticed some Revelation EP's that are reasonably cheap but are  they any good. I don't want to spend hundred on eyepieces only to find that astronomy is not for me. Don't mind spending up to 50quid or so for each eyepiece. Probably need a 6.5mm a 30mm and a x2 Barlow. Shall I get the revelation EP's or will they be too similar in performance with the shipped Celestron eyepieces I already have?

The 2.5x Revelation Barlow with 3-elements should be better than the 2x Revelation with acromatic doublet lenses (or whatever they are)

I have the 2.5x Revelation and it is great - (although I calculate that it is an actual 2.1 or 2.2x)

The Plossls are excellent as well - even on the 8" dob at F5.9.

Excellent for planetary work, or other views where you don't need more than 52-degrees.

If you need cheap to get yourself going - go for a couple of Revelations

If you want something better - look at the Maxvision 68o from ExploreScientific.de / or the 60o BST Starguiders from Skys the Limit (via Ebay).

Note: Eye relief on a 6mm Plossl is supposed to be awful.

You may want to build up a better set of 60eyepieces from BST instead, using a 2.5x Revelation Barlow.

650mm focal length will take you up to 130x magnification with the 5mm BST / and about 170x with the 8mm Barlowed

They will be plossl's so if you have a problem with eye relief then they may not be a good choice.

Consider the eye relief of a plossl to be 2/3 of the focal length of the eyepiece.

They are a reasonable step up from the supplied items, apparently better are the Vixen plossls (£35-40).

After that it is the BST Starguiders and the Celestron X-Cels.

Try a Skywatcher Zoom 7mm to 21mm.  They are quite good quality and will give you 5 eyepieces for less than £40,  7, 9, 11, 15 and 21.  Then you will find out which are the most used for your particular scope and conditions and then can make a decision as to what single eyepieces to get, or not if you decide Astronomy really isn't for you.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived