SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Greetings!

Myopicus

Hi All, 

I've just become the proud owner of a Skyliner 200p dob (a birthday present from the wonderful Mrs. Myopicus) and can't wait for first light!  If only this Dorset gloom will go away.  :clouds1:

I've already got loads of handy hints and kit advice from this forum, and I'm looking forward to contributing what I can to the community.

So, question:

I'm pretty confidant that I want to upgrade the finder, and have read a lot of the forum threads - there's not too much feedback about the Skysurfer V which I am considering. I was thinking of the Telred, but they're so blumming ugly! Opinions on Skysurfer vs. Telrad welcome.

Any thoughts for other newbie kit I should be lusting after?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome to the lounge,

great choice of scope, the 200p is very popular here

in S G L, can't help with the skysurfer I'm afraid I use

a finderscope and mine is on an EQ5, but as far as

upgrades are concerned you will know what you need

after a few sessions with your Dob.

Good Luck and Clear Sky's 

H and welcome to the forum. Can't comment on the Skysurfer as I have never used it but the Telrad is an excellent bit of kit. I would agree that from an aesthetic point of view the Telrad does look like a coffin for a hamster but under dark skies none of this matters. The Skysurfer V is more expensive and I'm not sure what the the mounting arrangements are to attach it to the scope compared to the Telrad which offers a couple of height options here. Also the base that allows the Telrad to be attached is inexpensive enough to allow you to buy a couple if you own more than one scope. If you want reviews, you could try reading this one or this collection of customer comments from FLO's website. The ultimate combination is a red dot finder along with a Right Angled Erecting Finderscope such as this one here. The red dot gets you close to the area, the optical finder helps you focus down on the target allowing you the enjoyment at the scope's focuser with your chosen eyepiece - almost idiot proof!  :grin: 

Clear skies for now and hope you enjoy the forum

James 

P.s Which ever one you get, always make it a habit to turn the red dot finder off when not in use as I have lost count of the number of batteries I've gone through by forgetting to do so - I think it's because although it illuminates your target, it does so without emitting any external light and is therefore easy to think it's off when it's on.  :grin:

Welcome to SGL  :smiley: ,  I use the 9x50 right angled finder scope on my Dob and 6" refractor,  along with the telrad finder,  

Yep sky's have been bad hear in Dorset this winter so far,  :clouds2:  Hoping for clear skies soon to view the supernova in M82 before it fades away :mad: ,

Hear's a couple of local events you may like to try out  :grin: ,

There is a stargazing night at Moores valley country park on the 8th February http://www.moors-valley.co.uk/event/stargazing-08-feb-13/ if you can get along :smiley: , Worth checking out as there will be scopes there to try and talk to other  people also, Maybe see you there ,  

There's also star party's over Durlston country park you may be interested in going to http://www.durlston.co.uk/index.php?id=165

Ian.

Hi Ian, 

Thanks for the links - I'll try to get along to Moors Valley!

Look forward to meeting you!

mace

If you would like to meet up any time your always welcome to join me when I go out into the forest near sway viewing on those rare clear nights of late we have had,  With Hardly any light pollution there  :smiley:

Drop me a line if you like and I can send details for you, I am in Christchurch. 

Ian.

If you would like to meet up any time your always welcome to join me when I go out into the forest near sway viewing on those rare clear nights of late we have had,  With Hardly any light pollution there  :smiley:

Drop me a line if you like and I can send details for you, I am in Christchurch. 

Ian.

That's a really kind offer - thank you.  I'm near Bridport (dark-ish skies when it's not cloudy / foggy / misty / raining ), so it's 1 hour + over to you. Might not be soon, but thank you.  :smiley:

Also feel the need to grapple with my dob in the lonesome small hours for a while!  But definitely interested in local groups tho - weymouth is the nearest that i can find. Perhaps I should set up a West Dorset wing?

Best wishes, mace

Welcome, this never ending cloud is driving us all nuts..  what a prezzie from the mrs.. first thing i do on any scope is put my skywatcher correct image right angled finder on as i find it much easier to use ..

Yeah, right! Although we did buy it on her birthday weekend away! LOL! I think I must have earned some brownie points.            

Either that, or she's trying to tell me something!  

I think a RAIC finder is next on my list, ££'s allowing. The skywatcher 9x50 look like an obvious choice, shame it's not possible to upgrade at point-of-sale. That said, The Telescope Shop in Frome were really helpful, if a little pricey compared to FLO.

mace

Archived