Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Low Voltage Power Connectors

Oh boy I hate these awful coaxial power connectors that you find on almost every consumer device these days. Either they drop out under their own weight if vertical or the tiniest knock of a cable can loosen them. And sometimes they are just intermittent if waggled, particularly after being inserted for some time.

Worse still there are several sizes that are not quite entirely similar so they just don't quite fit, making it hard to identify the right one to buy.

I want some multipole (mostly 2-pole) connectors for 12-15V  that are simple to fit, positive to operate, and proof against bumbling about in the dark.

Anyone found anything better?  XLR?  Or what about the Speakon connectors? - they look a possibility as they handle plenty of current, are multipole on have a locking ring. e.g. is the polarity robustly keyed?

Joe

Spot on. That's just the sort of thing I had in mind. I had an ex-gf long ago who was a dab hand with a soldering iron and xlr'd everything in sight!

Just for comparison, anyone used the speakon connectors? Are they any less bulky?

Joe

One change that I've made the the above is to bung some inline blade fuses in. A 5A one feeding the main distro box and smaller ones in the lines feeding the camera, mount, dew heaters and so on. Fuses wont offer that much protection, but they should pop if something daft like a short circuit happens (very possible where I and a soldering iron is concerned!)

Just for comparison, anyone used the speakon connectors? Are they any less bulky?

Not me personally, but I can't forsee any problems with them. The voltages and currents are low. As long as there's not much chance of sparking when they are connected/broken (and those plugs don't do that) then you'll be fine. Cigarette plugs are notorious for arcing/sparking which is another reason why I hate them. Arcing can "spike" delicate electronics.

Spot on. That's just the sort of thing I had in mind. I had an ex-gf long ago who was a dab hand with a soldering iron and xlr'd everything in sight!

She sounded like a keeper!  :grin:

Joe

i use the speakon connectors and they are good, and lock into place, but the plugs are quite bulky

If you look hard at my image you can see each plug has it's own fuse.

I think your linked ones are like caravan plugs so really big.

Dave

yes they are bigger than I first thought :shocked:

I can't see the fuses in your picture above - am I missing the obvious?

Steve

I regularly use these connectors for my 'other' hobby.

http://www.componentshop.co.uk/leads-and-connectors/connectors/xt60-connector.html

They are very easy to solder, they cant be connected the wrong way round in the dark (or the light!), they are very easy to push together and to seperate even with gloved hands and they are virtually indestructible.

They handle 60 amps easily and can stand bursts of 90 amps - WAY more than anything astronomical should be drawing!!

Just thought I would share that with you!!

Edited pic 

Dave

attachicon.gif131.JPG

Thanks that makes it a lot clearer, will pop in Maplins tomorrow to see the size for myself :kiss:

Those Dean connectors look pretty handy Billy - good tip, shall look some out to test. Especially if I can find a female bulkhead connector for box mounting.

typed on my mobile with Tapatalk

They do look good, been googling for a panel connector as well.

I regularly use these connectors for my 'other' hobby.

http://www.componentshop.co.uk/leads-and-connectors/connectors/xt60-connector.html

They are very easy to solder, they cant be connected the wrong way round in the dark (or the light!), they are very easy to push together and to seperate even with gloved hands and they are virtually indestructible.

They handle 60 amps easily and can stand bursts of 90 amps - WAY more than anything astronomical should be drawing!!

Just thought I would share that with you!!

Nice looking connectors, I like the soldering ease as it would fit in with the 12v 5a cabling I bought.

Archived