Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Beginner

ObnoX

Hi all, complete beginner here from Glasgow.

No equipment yet but I am currently looking for a cheap pair of Bino's to get me started, probably 15x70 Celestron or Revelation. I'll have a search through the forums to see what I can dig up on these sets.

Cheers  :laugh:

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You might also need to consider  a tripod mount..... binos that big will be heavy to hold steady for any length of time.

Ahh yes, I have seen this mentioned a few times. Would you recommend a tripod over a monopod?

Ahh yes, I have seen this mentioned a few times. Would you recommend a tripod over a monopod?

Hey there, welcome to the lounge. I'm a rookie myself but I would imagine the more stability you can achieve the better, so definitely go for a tripod if you can.

Hi and welcome to the lounge

bins are a great way to learn the night sky, download the

monthly newsletter from the binocular section, a tripod or

mono pod, have a read through Steven Tonkin's site,

http://binocularsky.com/ he gives great advice, he also has

a section in Sky at Night magazine, his books are very good

too.  Enjoy!

Good Luck and Clear Sky's

Hello!  I'm new to astronomy too, but have extensively used a monopod for photography in dim/low light conditions.  They're really good!

PROs ; light weight, very portable and help support the weight of camera / bin's well, good stabilising and manoeuvrability, no legs sticking out at weird angles to trip over. relatively cheap.

I've seen a collapsible carbon fibre walking stick version, with a removable cap at the top which reveals a standard tripod thread. Was about £15-ish. could be combined with a bino mount maybe?

Good luck!

Welcome to SGL - Glad that you found us. There's a particularly good site http://binocularsky.com/index.php that is run by one of the SGL folks. Well worth a good look around.

Look forward to seeing you around :smiley:

Nice one, great site, thanks for that.

Hello!  I'm new to astronomy too, but have extensively used a monopod for photography in dim/low light conditions.  They're really good!

PROs ; light weight, very portable and help support the weight of camera / bin's well, good stabilising and manoeuvrability, no legs sticking out at weird angles to trip over. relatively cheap.

I've seen a collapsible carbon fibre walking stick version, with a removable cap at the top which reveals a standard tripod thread. Was about £15-ish. could be combined with a bino mount maybe?

Good luck!

You make it sound so good I think I might just go with the monopod then! Cheers!

Archived