Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

loch doon tonight if clear

colesmat

Hi folks, I'm in my last week of working up in ayrshire and according to weather reports tonight is going to be clear so it maybe my final chance to visit the darkest skies in britain for a while. I paid a visit last monday and I was taken aback by how much I could see (milky way looked amazing). I'll be there with my bins from about 8 in a good spot in front of the cafe if anybody fancies joining me.

Matt.

• 3 weeks later...

I was only in those neck of the woods (excuse the pun) for a few weeks. I live in manchester and work all over the country so took the opportunity while I could. In my opinion it wouldn't be a great place to meet unless it was clear, may as well be closer to town near or in a pub. But as for clear nights, I don't know of anywhere better.

Matt

• 6 months later...

heading up to ayrshire for the tail end of the oriniods (in Inverness for main event)

now ive been to the south end of the park a few times (clatershaw, and loch trool) truly amazing and breathtaking locations but it was a spare of the moment thing when visiting the area.

this time i am planing in advance my first location was loch doon (near the castle) for a night shoot  but after looking at the dark skies core map it seems loch Riecawr is in the inner core.
and i was wondering about access to the roads carrick forest drive and carrick drive are they open this time of year and whats the road/track like to drive without 4 x 4

(we are heading upto the observatory on one of the evenings) but i wanted some advice in advance before i leave so any helpful advice will be most gratefully received, as i spend more time looking for a suitable location and not enough time looking up.  :eek: 

theres a  different way to loch riecawr as theres a car park and center near by,  i was hoping i didnt have to do a lot of miles to head round to lock doon.
might have to do 3 separate nights.

thank you kindly for the advice oldpink 

I was up at the castle two weeks ago and had stunning skies, not sure about going further in without 4 x 4

couldn't even attempt it as we were in a van

Archived