Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

11 Hours IC434 and NGC 2024

ianaiken

Well its 22 hours actually, but I took it on a dual rig.  11 Hours of Ha @ 20 min subs and 11 Hours RGB from an OSC with 10 min subs.  In hindsight I wish I went to 15 mins but nevermind, I can always add to this later.  I've already sent the test print to the printers to check the darker areas and do a quality check on the printing.  If it's OK then it's going on my wall mounted in a think black frame at 80 x 60 cm with a slight change to the wording.  I was contemplating getting more data but I have been convinced to move on to another target.  I may come back to this next year for another 11 hours as I think it could add some value.

Ha (7nm) taken on a William Optics GT81 (Gold) with WO Flat 6A with an Atik 460EXM.  RGB taken on a SW 80 ED DS-PRO with a QHY8L OSC.  I use Baader SteelDrives for focussing and I find this very important in getting good quality subs especially with the temperature change through the night.  On the 80 ED I have a Baader SteelTrack with SteelDrive and on the William Optics I managed to fit the SteelDrive very easily to the Rack & Pinion focuser and it works a treat!  Just a pity that the clouds spoil it!

Stack and Processed in PixInsight with some after touches in CS6.

12176498013_3e4e2e719b_b.jpg
IC 434 and NGC 2024 by Ian Aiken, on Flickr

Super, and more proof that there are no shortcuts. To have this level of colour without noise just does take time. These are admirable images.

For me the processing is a touch 'hard' really just on the Flame in Ha. I think you're losing some nuances in the brightest parts. On the other hand the contrast in the ripples behind the Horse's head is absolutely marvellous. I've never seen better.

What you've demonstrated here is that, pound for pound, two modest scopes and two cameras beats one expensive scope and one camera. A friend recently sent me some images taken using a multiple ED80 array with good CCD cameras and this, too, made the same case just as clearly. I think you have a stunningly cost effective rig.

Olly

Thats truly amazing. Another image that makes me slighly sick with envy. Am only just starting out in astronomy but if at any point down the line I produce an image anywhere near as good as that I'll be extremely happy. Congrats on a superb image.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone!  I appreciate the comments and glad you like the picture.

Super, and more proof that there are no shortcuts. To have this level of colour without noise just does take time. These are admirable images.

For me the processing is a touch 'hard' really just on the Flame in Ha. I think you're losing some nuances in the brightest parts. On the other hand the contrast in the ripples behind the Horse's head is absolutely marvellous. I've never seen better.

I agree and it's probably the contrast and the effect of a high pass which has done this on that specific region.  I think if I was to back off on that region a little I could probably show the nuances better (at least on screen).  My processing should have a history I may be able to step back a little and try, it's good opportunity to reinforce the processing I applied. I was aiming for 20 hours in total but only managed 11 (elapsed) so I may wait until I get more data (next season maybe).

Lastly, the masked stretch process in PI, the one just released, is awesome!

Archived