Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Water Found On Ceres

The ESA has discovered water on Ceres, the largest dwarf planet in our solar system, in the form as vapour plumes erupting into space.

ceres-water-outgassing.jpg?1390412533

http://www.space.com/24366-dwarf-planet-ceres-water-ice-volcanoes.html

Other articles on the same topic mention the possibility of there being life on it, which doesn't seem too far fetched, as after all, there may be life on Europa which is much further away from the sun than Ceres. 

The Dawn mission has suddenly become much more important now, I think!

• 2 weeks later...

While I'm a bit late, that makes 3 objects we've found other than Earth to have liquid water somewhere on them or just underneath the surface (Europa, Enceladus, and now Ceres). Perhaps liquid water isn't actually that rare in the Cosmos - perhaps there is life in 4 places in our solar system.

Isn't water one of the most abuntant molecules out there in the big wide universe (because of it's simplicity) ?

Anyway, good on them for finding another body with it :)

Forget the pollyticks of Mars, we really ort to get a probe over to Europa and/or Enceladus to take a good long close look at those water baring bodies.

I bet their be life in those there waters!

Archived